Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Crypt nuts section, as well, with a little bit more detailed information on my thoughts, since it's mostly a Crypt tank.

Box is 36" long by 18" high by 18" deep (50 gallon breeder). Lighting is 90 watts T-8 fluorescent. Substrate is undecided, but leaning toward soil under gravel or Eco-Complete.

Possible layout:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just took a second look and realized that the R. rotundifolia and L. sessilflora should probably be switched. The L. sessiliflora might not look too great next to the H. difformis.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My critique:

First of all, I see some poor plant choice in this layout. The stem plants, to look their best, will have to be carefully layered with the shortest stems in the front and the tallest stems in the back to create the most pleasing effect. Ambulia, (Limnophila sessiliflora), has very long internodes after all. You'll want only the tops showing. Lots of work. I don't know if you are willing to do that with a Crypt tank. How about filling in the background with more of the balansae?

You have two competing focal points at this point --the Barclaya and the driftwood. I would remove the Barclaya, since it will become far too large for this aquarium, and move the piece of driftwood over to that position for a good start to a triangle layout. For a concave layout or wall to wall planting, try moving it slightly to the left. Better yet, you may want to add more driftwood to complement the one you plan to have. Always try to use odd numbers of branches for the most pleasing effect.

This layout will probably lack some depth when grow in. One option is to open up the background by removing the some of the midground and background plants. Here are some basic layout shapes:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42

Another option is to do wall-to-wall plantings. To add depth with this option, you will have to create lines of plants that increase in height from front to back like the Dutch. At the very least, I would recommend not arranging your plants so linearly along the background and midground.

Keep us updated! I'd like to see how you end up setting it up. :)

Carlos

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tsunami said:
My critique:

First of all, I see some poor plant choice in this layout. The stem plants, to look their best, will have to be carefully layered with the shortest stems in the front and the tallest stems in the back to create the most pleasing effect. Ambulia, (Limnophila sessiliflora), has very long internodes after all. You'll want only the tops showing. Lots of work. I don't know if you are willing to do that with a Crypt tank. How about filling in the background with more of the balansae?

You have two competing focal points at this point --the Barclaya and the driftwood. I would remove the Barclaya, since it will become far too large for this aquarium, and move the piece of driftwood over to that position for a good start to a triangle layout. For a concave layout or wall to wall planting, try moving it slightly to the left. Better yet, you may want to add more driftwood to complement the one you plan to have. Always try to use odd numbers of branches for the most pleasing effect.

This layout will probably lack some depth when grow in. One option is to open up the background by removing the some of the midground and background plants. Here are some basic layout shapes:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42

Another option is to do wall-to-wall plantings. To add depth with this option, you will have to create lines of plants that increase in height from front to back like the Dutch. At the very least, I would recommend not arranging your plants so linearly along the background and midground.

Keep us updated! I'd like to see how you end up setting it up. :)

Carlos
First of all...are you by chance looking at my colored design as thought it were the front of the tank...? It's a top-down view.

I realize the L. sessiliflora is probably a bad choice. I'm not really sure I would like more balansae, however.

I was planning on dealing with the depth issue with the willisii. Notice how it stretches a little more than halfway back from the front of the tank? That's a little over nine inches in this tank.

Also, the idea was to slope it from short in front to tall in back. I don't see how that's not being accomplished.

If I were to match my intended layout to one of the layouts you were kind enough to link up, I'd say I'm heading mostly toward convex, with the C. willisii stretching far enough back to give the illusion that the area of the aquarium between the driftwood is further away.

I am also going to replace the Hygrophila with C. moehlmannii.

Also, I'm not really all that afraid of the Barclaya. If it gets too wide, that will be a problem, but tall is not an issue. In fact, I think it would add a unique dimension to the tank if it spreads a little across the surface.

Thanks for the thoughts :)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I do know it is a top-down view.

As far as your idea of sloping it short in front to tall to back, there is more to creating depth than just the basic having short foreground plants, midground plants, and background plants. We'll take John Martin's Dutch tank as an example:

Notice how he does have a foreground, midground, and background. However, his tank fails because it lacks depth. Why? Because the plants in the background are organized linearly from left to right in the background. His midground is a little better, but it is still not enough. To create depth, you will have to use plants that stretch from the midground to the background in certain points.

To have a have a better convex layout, I would remove the

The layouts I provided are pretty flexible, they should allow elbow room. I will actually post quite an interesting topic next week about alternative layout shapes!

Carlos

1 - 5 of 5 Posts