Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what up ya'll!
i'm new to apc and pretty new to aquascaping so bear with me

i purchased a 120g reef setup for a real good deal and have sense decided i can aford the reef stuff any longer.

the tank has dual overflows in each corner and has a 55g sump.
the return pump is about 1000gph and it returns through 2 outlets.
tank also came with a 2x 150 mh + 2x VHO fixture.

my questions are: will the sump cause any problems with gas exchange?
what gph do you suggest on a new return pump?
and with the lights i have what co2 tools will i need(i'm a noob so basics along with experienced suggestions will be greatly appreciated!)

check out my youtube channel to see what i have and have had rolling

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Yes, CO2 will exit the system if the sump is open. Easiest solution: Seal it with plastic sheeting and duct tape.

I start all my tanks with 10x/hr per manufacturers label. This is combined water movement including sumps, other filters and power heads. I know the label is probably wrong, and filters slow down as they fill with junk, so I really have only one tank that really has that much flow.

Another way to figure it: Make sure the surface has some pretty good ripples, but if the fish are getting out their surf boards you are overdoing it.

Light: If the tank had been run as a marine set up, including the corals that are very specific in their light needs (and the metal halide lights suggest this), then that is the wrong light for planted tanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts