Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
That's the trick to diagnosing plant deficiencies...an apparent deficiency could actually be a lack of some other element that limits a plants ability to uptake, in your case, calcium.

Try doing some searches on calcium deficiency here and on AquaBotanic's All Wet Thumb forum or The Planted Tank forum or PLanGeek.net.

Planted tank upkeep still seems to be a lot more art than science at this point in time.

Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wonder Woman,
You read enough plant forums and you'll notice a lot of the old timers will simply dose according to plant behavior. Shriveled new growth would point to Ca deficiency regardless of what the test results are. You could always add a small bag of seashell to your tank for a couple of weeks and see if it makes any difference to your Hygro's new growth.

My situation was the opposite from yours. My local water company's last report showed my tap water to average 49ppm of Ca and 21ppm of Mg, which should cover my plant's needs. And my GH measures 13-14° so I thought I would be fine, but if I don't dose an additional 3-5ppm of Epsom Salt (MgSO4) solution every water change my plants (particularly my Ludwigia Repens) start to develop holes in their older leaves. Go figure. :roll:

So I stand by earlier assessment of it being more of an art than science.

In any event, keep us posted of your results, if for no other reason than to make the next person's search on shriveled leaves more productive. :D

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.