Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am thinking of making a super-small nano to have in my cubicle at work. I'm thinking around 1/2 gallon or less. Something pretty small.

I was wondering, are there any setup precautions that I need to take other than get a bowl, gravel, water, and some plants.

My question is - will I end up doing super frequent water changes, do I need a filter or air pump? etc...

Will this light work? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5673027
I would prefer something fluorescent but I haven't found anything with this sort of design that can have fluorescent. Anyway, has anyone any advice?

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are small desk lamps at Home Depot that have 27 watt bulbs in them at 6500K. I have two of them over a 10 gallon. They go for $20. That might be overkill on a .5gallon tank. But in something like 2.5 or a 5 gallon tank it would give you the freedom to grow just about anything you want (provided you have CO2, good substrate, ferts, etc).

Are you planning on stocking the tank with a betta or something? I don't really think .5 gallons is enough for any fish species or probably any invertebrates either.

As for water changes, you could probably just change a cup full each day or something. If you have any inhabitants their waste will probably produce a lot of toxins, even with plants.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I think that I will try no fish in that case. Maybe a betta eventually. I want to keep it small as it will be on my desk with a lot of expensive equipment.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Check out Picotope aquariums. They seem to be in the range and might fit your needs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just started my first nano and I found this thread looking for some filter as mine is also super small nano. 0.2 Gal to be exact. It is already planted but I was in the process to try to implement some kind of filter and light when I found this thread.

I had 2 Neon Tetras on it for a couple of days doing daily water changes but I just took them off yesterday after finding the cherry shrimp dead. I wish I read this thread before, it is true, this is too small to have livestock...at least if not having filtration. I learned it the hard way. :(

I am going to try to implemente some kind of filtration for the plants anyway, to try to have it mature anyway. I hope I can keep the plants alive the way it is, if they grow will be a great success, I love the way it look now in the initial set up.

Another thing I found is how hard is to plant in this tiny containers :mad: I already masterized the use of chopsticks to plant

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have since set up a 1.5 gal tank - 1 week ago. I have so far done two water changes and know for sure that I will need fertilizer. I am starting to get black spots on leaves. Plants only so far.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had 2 Neon Tetras on it for a couple of days doing daily water changes but I just took them off yesterday after finding the cherry shrimp dead. I wish I read this thread before, it is true, this is too small to have livestock...at least if not having filtration. I learned it the hard way. :(
I want to buy some amano shrimp (5-6) in my 1.5 gallon. Can that work, or is it too small?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts