Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have it do you utilize a skimmer or some other mechanism to remove it and/or keep it to a minimum?

I think it might be a good thing not only for the surface film, but to create some sort of surface agitation to help out with o2 - possibly an overall more balanced tank?

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
If you have adequate surface ripple you don't get the surface film in my experience. The water surface should look rippled, even though there shouldn't be any splashing of any kind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have adequate surface ripple you don't get the surface film in my experience. The water surface should look rippled, even though there shouldn't be any splashing of any kind.
I didnt have any surface movement at al.

I put in a powerhead today and placed it about 2" below the surface it creates good ripple withouth splashing and I don't see any film developing, at least not yet. I don't really like having it in there so I will be looking into the surface extractor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my extractor yesterday and installed it today ... not sure I'm going to keep it going - it seems to let a lot of air into the canister which makes lots of noise.

Will try to tweak it the next few days - if I cant get it cooperate with the filter I will take it out.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Got my extractor yesterday and installed it today ... not sure I'm going to keep it going - it seems to let a lot of air into the canister which makes lots of noise.

Will try to tweak it the next few days - if I cant get it cooperate with the filter I will take it out.
If it sounds like a slurping kind of sound, you have it adjusted to deep. Fine tune by turning the little dial stick or just raise it up a little. :)

I just realized that I think you have an Eheim extractor? No?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it sounds like a slurping kind of sound, you have it adjusted to deep. Fine tune by turning the little dial stick or just raise it up a little. :)

I just realized that I think you have an Eheim extractor? No?
Yes, that's what I got ... and the extractor itself doesn't make much noise - its my canister thats making the noise.

It seems to do a good job of cleaning up the surface its just letting in air or not enough water to keep the canister happy. I looked at it a bit ago and possibly the little float bobber thats in the suction column is limiting the amount of water too much and thats causing the canister to slurp. I might try taking it out and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had the same problem. I have a HOB filter, so it eventually did come out - just had to make sure to spray the cartridge out. Hasn't come back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts