Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any good data on survival rates for tropical fish in aquariums? Anyone keep data on their own survival rates....do you track the number of fish you have purchased / lost over say the last year to derive survival rate?

I've loosely tracked mine in a spreadsheet and if my numbers are right, my survival rate for my first year is about 58%....yuck! Is a low survival rate, an indicator that I'm doing something wrong? Can my survival rate be compared to someone in Seattle or Dallas or Down Under? Should I take natural mortality into consideration? If so, what is it? So many questions....anyone got answers? (oops another question)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Please share your spreadsheet. Your numbers will depend heavily on what type of fish you're keeping.

I keep around 140 fish. Over the past year I've lost maybe 20 or 30. Some of the losses are expected. Rams only live a couple of years and some of my fish are pushing 4 or 5 years old.

Your numbers can be quite low if you get a large group of sensitive fish that don't do well. I've had 23/24 rummynose tetras die within a week of purchase. Other times I've purchased large groups with 100% survival at 6 months.

·
r'bow lover
1,658 Posts
50% in a year is pretty poor survival rate from my experience. But if it's you're first year keeping fish, you're ahead of the curve! Most newbs kill off fish at a high rate til they get the knack.

It all depends on what you're trying to keep and the sources you get them from too.

GL!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts