Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone brought these up in another post and I managed to get a decent picture of one of mine the other day and thought I'd post it up.

These fish are native to the east coast of the United States. They are occasionally found as hitchhikers in ghost shrimp shipments so if you're interested you might want to check you LFS.

They don't have a swim bladder so they tend to dart around tank, hence the name.

As their name implies they are used to still waters, so unlike most darters they don't need a lot of water.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

They mostly eat frozen food, primarily frozen bloodworms. You could probably get them to eat prepared food but it would take awhile.

I've got four of them in a 15 gallon with some bluefin killifish and ghost shrimp. They occur together naturally and it shows, they all get along great.

· Registered
1 Posts
That is a very cool little fish. What do they like to eat?
I have a pair of swamp darters, and from what I have read, they feed on small crustaceans. It seems that if the darters are small enough, and the shrimp are large enough, they should be able to coexist together without problems.
I just added a couple of ghost shrimp to my 40 gallon native tank. There was not a big difference in size between the darters and shrimp. Time will tell. I'm thinking about adding a dozen ghost shrimp to the tank tomorrow when a LFS gets receives their shipment. The only had two shrimp left in there tanks yesterday, and what one looks like an orange neocaradina. I did not want to mix it with my dream blue velvet Neos, or cherry shrimp, so I added it to the native tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts