Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stuck a few rooted cuttings from my backyard in Cali, into the cutout for filters on my 35 year old + Acrylic Tru Vuu 240 gallon aquarium. It grew..then it grew well...then it just did great. As it got larger,my aquariums hair and blue green algae eventually disappeared after plaguing me for a year and a half.

Eventually,it took over the left cutout directly over the tank. I trim what comes forward off. I would say its made a huge impact especially after dosing the big tank with Seachem Iron. Plants that were so-so have taken off,and since the photos,I added some nice plants I had avoided before because I figured algae would just coat them and,or,they would not grow period.

Now,this tank gets sunlight from that big window and to get big growth you would have to use an intense artificial light..what kind is up to you..but a dedicated light for the Syngonium is a must.

The Syngoniums roots are both free flowing..and some have made to the bottom of the 24" deep tank and into the sand. Fish lover to swim in the surface roots and stems. I even get underwater leaves as the weight of the plant pushes leaves underwater ( eventually they rot and I remove them) but it looks like an underwater Philodendron.
Now,I've tried Pothos...Pothos is good..but it wants to climb and if its roots touch a wall,they cement themselves to it. Spathiphyllum is very good too..you might try that and it flowers.
I can't believe what a difference it makes...removes nitrates like crazy,tints from foods and I notice,takes the smell out of the water..no fishy or earthy smell...mostly no smell at all.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny thing about Syngonium is that its a vine..yet grows compact like a groundcover. I've seen youtube vids of it by a tropical stream and it grew along the banks like a perennial plant...not a vine.
Pothos gets a lot publicity as an aquarium nitrite and nitrate remover but that habit of vining is strong and it will send long runners to either trail or attach to the wall like i said.
There's even a pinkish Syngonium sold...not sure how well it would do. It might revert to green indoors.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
You can use the ornamental, small elephant ear plants as well. I think they're a distant relative to Syngonium. I've even grown some aquatic plants emersed.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its been pounded into our heads what an aquarium must be...with gadgets everywhere and cords and powerstrips buzzing away that we forget that sunlight is good and plants can filter the water Carbon for smells? Not if you have thick masses of plant roots. IMMERSED plants the best. It's why cities use cattails and marsh plants,and not submerged plants or not so much.
A really advanced aquarist would consider it normal to use houseplants in separate basins..with the big Aquarium's water fed into that and then returned to the tank. Done in a nice esthetic way rather than how it's done in greenhouse setups with ugly basins and white PVC pipe everywhere.
It can be done to look nice..nature does it.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I use water iris for my pond. These plants are beasts at soaking up nutrients. Water hyacinths also. You can have a sump of water hyacinth out of the way to give your aquatic plants some light.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use water iris for my pond. These plants are beasts at soaking up nutrients. Water hyacinths also. You can have a sump of water hyacinth out of the way to give your aquatic plants some light.
Really,if you live in a mild climate you really could put a pond/ marsh/basin outdoors and plumb it return to the tank. In a place like Florida or South Texas that would be much,more doable. In that kind of setup..you can grow rotifers and daphnia...with that being an extra food source for the fish in your mega sized front room show tank. All you need is a strong pump...no calcium reactors,no protein skimmers,no this and that and then more!..just moving water.
No Co2. You're not contributing to GW.

I've added star grass,Alternanthera and in a few months will update the look. Just moving twisty branches into the Syngonium roots looks super jungly...like they are all one plant. Fish love it.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I have a bog pond separate from the fish pond. That's where the water iris are planted. I had to cull the plants because they were growing too much. I grow edible plants in the bog as well.

There are non parasitic leech living in the gravel substrate. I'm sure they're good eating for the goldfish.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Retrieving one right now from the my sunroom! I just hope it turns out like yours! I've been growing syngoniums for 40 years and never thought about putting it in tank. I have a pothos that's doing amazing and is anchored to the window.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL..great! Pothos...I tried years ago. In fact you can see it on DAVES GARDEN.com under Pothos and my photo is bayarea tropics. You can see it grew much larger than average leaves for an indoor plant. Only,Pothos glued itself to that wall...I had pry it off,with the roots stuck. Later,I had to sand and repainted that wall ( and room) to remove all the evidence. Also,Pothos is rangy...Syngonium is not despite being a vine. I mean,it will eventually get viney but it's simple to trim and next thing you know,it's looking like a shrub growing out of your tank.
GG one tip: Dose with iron. Not only is it good for aquarium plants,it will make that Pothos a deep green,faster growing and thicker leaves. huh,that last sounded like a shampoo commercial:)

Keep us apprised on how its going. Really won't be a long wait before you see water roots and new growth. I started with just small cuttings like that..maybe four that had some roots. All that and more since late summer.

If you have that tank in a sunroom,your are destined for great success GG!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I do dose iron and Flourish Complete in a dirted tank. It does seem to make a difference. I already had some cuttings in water and I also cut a nice piece from a potted plant to add to it. I ordered a clip-on led light for the syngonium and the pothos. Will update!

I have heard horror stories about pothos sticking to walls! Mine is actually anchored to a vinyl window frame. The window faces the sunroom and doesn't get much light, hence the LED light.

I wish I could keep a tank in the sunroom, but it has a temp variation from 60-65 in winter (space heater) and up to 82 in the summer (no AC). Maybe it could be plants only?

Edit: Can you provide a link for your pothos pic on Dave's Garden? I can't find it! You have a lot of posts! ;)

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The sunroom sounds fine to me. Just put an oversized (300-500 watt) heater in the aquarium. All you need are temps in the mid 70's. 82 in summer is more than safe for plants and fish. Mosses might balk..maybe.
Here's part of the Pothos. I never dosed but I did have White Clouds ONLY in there and gobs of java moss thrived..so the white clouds were breeding,the young survived and it looked like a tank of some kind of Neon Tetras.
The leaves on the Pothos became much larger than grown in a pot indoors. IF I had dosed? I'm sure now they would be double the 8" they got.

davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/295502/

·
Registered
339 Posts
Those are some giant leaves! Wow! I have read that pothos growing vertically will produce bigger leaves than when trailing. I've noticed this to be a fact. I first thought something was wrong with my trailers.
I have been toying with the idea of some sort of tub garden in the sunroom.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pothos for sure will only get larger leaves climbing..that's pretty much true for Aroid vines.

I tell you GG,if you have a sunroom..haul a tank as big as you can into it and have fun mixing Aquarium plants with Aquaponics. If you want a plant tank where there are few fish..go White Clouds..I found they need very little filtration..just standing water in my old 50 gallon and gobs of java moss and fed flake foods..they were spawning all the time. No heater for me indoors in California. Not for them.

You in a sunroom have so many choice in what can be grown in water roots. Pachira aquatica aka "Good luck/Money plant"..is a wet streambanks plant in the wild. Ficus retusa..the one sold at Home Depot as Bonsai? Can be grown roots in water ( dose iron for sure!) I l think Ming Aralia can thrive that way. You have the light for all to thrive.
I wish my 240 was in a sunroom!..the possibilities!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good info! Now I'm truly inspired. I didn't know that about money tree. I have one of those too.

Something I had years ago that I've always wanted to try again in a tank is papyrus (umbrella plant). I keep this photo around for inspiration! Not mine-i just love it!

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That would work...Papyrus MUST have sunlight..its not a shade plant at all. This is where the trials and tribulations can be-ha. Remember too,In a sunroom if your tank is getting too much sun before you get all the plants you want in ( who buys $$$ and many plants to start a tank?,we get a few here and there as the budget allows)...you can always shade the tank here or there with potted plants around it...trees.pots on stands,pots hanging in the right spot.

What I like very much about the seachem iron is the gluconate also acts as a algaecide..boy,does that help. So using that from the start is a good idea.

What I like about this? It's a way to make a planted tank even more natural...sun,bold tropical plants and roots. I even saw a 50 gallon hexagon with just two fat Veiltail Goldfish and what was the emergent plant that seemed to fill half the tank with roots? Dieffenbachia! One of the old types that had a massive snaking trunk and 2' paddle leaves. It was Aquaponics before the term came into being.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The sun came out and and sunlight hit the Bolbitis heudelotii. It began to pearl..I mean a real stream of bubbles non stop. No Co2 tank.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What I like very much about the seachem iron is the gluconate also acts as a algaecide..boy,does that help.
Please explain how Fe gluconate is an algaecide???

This is usually how myths get started among hobbyists.

Compliments of the "Krib"
The reason that Fe-gluconate drops off is that the iron precipitates as
Fe+3 rather quickly and the gluconate (being a labile sugar) is digested by
bacteria and algae.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My mistake. i got my Seachem crossed with my Excell articles. Excell has the algaecide...Seachem's iron gets plants going so well,what algae I had are gone..and my tank gets sun. It was home to green spot and hair for quite awhile. I can't get over what a difference it's made and the Syngonium that was fast before is now exploding in growth with large greener leaves than ever before.

Here's a link to a article on low tech tanks and he links to his article on Excel:

www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/planted-aquarium/low-tech-planted-tank-guide/

1 - 20 of 34 Posts