Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need to put my 20 g tank somewhere and I wonder if a mdf table would be safe enough.

I want to buy a short and large table because there are earthquakes happening occasionaly but I want to be sure that it will hold the weight and I couldnt find any specifications for the coffe or side tables weight resistance.

Anyone have any experience?

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
I have several tanks on mdf tables and they have been OK for years. But we don't have earthquakes here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A 20 gallon tank will weig about 70 kilograms or 160lbs. find a person that weight that much or a couple of people that together weight that much and have them sit on thee table. If you see bending door or sounds like cracking I wouldn't use the table . If everything looks solid it will probably hold up to the weight well

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 20 gallon tank will weig about 70 kilograms or 160lbs. find a person that weight that much or a couple of people that together weight that much and have them sit on thee table. If you see bending door or sounds like cracking I wouldn't use the table . If everything looks solid it will probably hold up to the weight well
A friend of mine is making one with metal support. Each one I have seen in market was bending down when I push it down and I am only 85kg.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Wood should work fine like made of 2x4 lumber. Strong and flexible are best in an earthquake.

People in California who have regular earthquakes would know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 10 gallon on a cheap ikea desk. When I drilled a hole for my monitor mount, it is actually laminate over very thin MDF with a cardboard core. I don't trust it and I make sure that I immediately wipe off any water that gets on it, but it seems to be holding. I am, however, on the hunt for another solution.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a 10 gallon on a cheap ikea desk. When I drilled a hole for my monitor mount, it is actually laminate over very thin MDF with a cardboard core. I don't trust it and I make sure that I immediately wipe off any water that gets on it, but it seems to be holding. I am, however, on the hunt for another solution.
Light Table Wood Plant Rectangle

My friend has made this for me. It has metal legs and a mdf table. But when I shake it with my hand it doesnt feel that stable. I think he should have reinforced the legs by connecting them in bottom too. For now I will use it but don't feel that safe for long term.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts