Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little FYI I'm sure many of you have seen my signature about the change a light pledge from energy star, if not its on this post. Anyway if you've ever wanted to do this and just thought it was to expensive upfront for the CFL bulbs, check out your local Home Depot. Two of the HD stores near me have these 6packs of the 15w (60w incandecant equivilant) bulbs for less than $10!!!! I stocked up and bought a couple packs, now every bulb in my apartment is CFL. I get that nice little peice of mind every time I flip a switch, ahh thats only using 25% of the energy it used to :D

Also in the spirit of the change a light pledge, I urge everyone to do a little research and really consider the effects of greenhouse gasses and take a look at how you can conserve energy. If everyone does something even if its just a little like the change a light pledge it would be a big step in the right direction. I'm not trying to get all political here, I dont care what side of the fence your on about the issue of climate change, you can't argue that its not wise to conserve energy when its so easy.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
And it's such a simple thing to do. Yes, the upfront cost may be higher but everyone gains over time; bulbs last a lot longer and use a lot less energy. :D

I changed over all my light bulbs about a year ago.

Australia just went one better and is banning incandescent light bulbs as of 2009/10...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had tried to change all the bulbs in my apartment to CF bulbs, but because i live in a character building, the covers don't fit because the lamps are too long. so i'm stuck with incandescents.

but my desk lamps are using CF lamps :D
sorry to hear about that, weird fixtures definately pose a problem, they do have special CFL bulbs out there that may fit but the price is definately higher. at least your tryin, I have to give you props for that :clap2:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And it's such a simple thing to do. Yes, the upfront cost may be higher but everyone gains over time; bulbs last a lot longer and use a lot less energy. :D

I changed over all my light bulbs about a year ago.

Australia just went one better and is banning incandescent light bulbs as of 2009/10...
thats sounds pretty crazy at first, I heard California was trying to do something like that, but if you think about it actions like this should only drive the up front cost down by increasing the demand. I thought $1.66/bulb was a steal. As well as grab the public's attention and and hopefully bring the greater issue to the front stage.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Thanks for posting this Davis. Good resource on the deal and great to see folks being aware.

Also in the spirit of the change a light pledge, I urge everyone to do a little research and really consider the effects of greenhouse gasses and take a look at how you can conserve energy. If everyone does something even if its just a little like the change a light pledge it would be a big step in the right direction. I'm not trying to get all political here, I dont care what side of the fence your on about the issue of climate change, you can't argue that its not wise to conserve energy when its so easy.
And I swear, anyone jumps on davis for this, or starts any crap.......:)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looks like I gotz to get my ass to home depot!;) ...seriously, I have all my light bulbs changed in my place but my woman is a different story. I swear I'm gonna smash all her lights, she leaves every light on in her apartment, whether she is home or not, and won't change them to cf until the incandescents burn out. Well now it looks like I'll buy the cf and put them in without her knowing!!!:boxing: We'll see how that works out.

Now on a different note, does anyone know how to dispose of the dead cf bulbs. I know you are not really supposed to throw them in the regular trash because of the mercury but when I asked the sanitation department by me they were kind of dumb founded by my question and never really answered it.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Now on a different note, does anyone know how to dispose of the dead cf bulbs. I know you are not really supposed to throw them in the regular trash because of the mercury but when I asked the sanitation department by me they were kind of dumb founded by my question and never really answered it.
This link was passed on to me by another member quite some time ago, and it can pretty much find any places that accept them in any area.
Earth 911: recycling centers, water pollution and conservation, Earth Day This one is Mn specific, and I don't have time to find the nation wide link, but I'm sure you can find it from there.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And I swear, anyone jumps on davis for this, or starts any crap.......:)
Its really suprised me how much crap I've gotten about that signature, not that I'm gonna take it off or anything, its just a little shocking that it upsets people and stirs the political debates it has. lol.

All in all, I'm really happy to see all the positive support!!! Thanks everybody :D

·
Registered
612 Posts
I switched over several years ago and most of the bulbs only lasted a couple months and all of the first purchase died before two years. That kinda ticked me off a little as the rating says 7 years. This was in the first big push for them and I think they were having manufacturing problems. I ended up going back to incandescent, but now I'm gradually switching back and the bulbs seem to be lasting better.

If we really want to conserve energy think of how much fuel is consumed delivering junk mail in this country.

·
Registered
923 Posts
We use those bulbs in all of our lights (except the one I use for coin photography). Got tired of the incans burning out so I bought a 6 pack of them about a year ago for about $8-$10. Little buggers and pretty bright but I'm not a fan of the urine yellow output. They'll get switched out for daylight or soft whites when they die,.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I tried switching to all CF bulbs in the house, but with aging it's getting harder and harder to see without bright light. Even though we tried some of the high watt equivalent CF bulbs, it just didn't cut it, so we wound up going back to incandescents in the rooms we needed more light in for a while.

I have since found some small screw in bulbs that are called something like metal halide, but they are just like the CF's when it comes to energy consumption (maybe they're a form of CF?), and they do the trick. :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried switching to all CF bulbs in the house, but with aging it's getting harder and harder to see without bright light. Even though we tried some of the high watt equivalent CF bulbs, it just didn't cut it, so we wound up going back to incandescents in the rooms we needed more light in for a while.

I have since found some small screw in bulbs that are called something like metal halide, but they are just like the CF's when it comes to energy consumption (maybe they're a form of CF?), and they do the trick. :)
Hmm I've never heard of those,i'll have to look into them. The bulbs I got at HD in the 6pack are brighter than the "equivilant" incandecant bulbs I replaced, they are soft white and actually apear to be a little whiter than the soft white incandecants from before, personally I haven't seen a downside yet with the HD packs. I also bought a 4pack of cool white just to try them, they were the same price and definately cool white, I can't imagine using them everywhere but definately nice in the bathroom and way brighter than the previous bulbs. :D I'm sure your milage may vary but its definately worth a shot IMO. If I had to come up with one thing I noticed that I haven't seen before is these bulbs seem to be a little dimmer and yellower when they first turn on but within 30seconds they are bright and whiter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Has anyone else every tried to use CFs outside? When we moved into our house there was an old CF in the light post, looked nice and bright on those late summer nights. However, 5 months later when the temps dropped to -20F the light became rather pathetic. It took the light several minutes to light up, I am actually rather surprised it ever did, and then it never got all that bright. This goes along with what is probably my biggest complaint with CFs, walk into a dark room flip the light-switch on and then stand there and wait for the lights to come up to full light. Not that this has stopped me from getting more and more of the lights.

Does anyone know if I am shortening the life of the bulbs running them at low temps?

Also, does anyone know if they have come out with CFs that can be but on dimmer switches?
I have seen a three-way CF but it was huge with ratings of 75,100,150 or something like that. Right now we are thinking about taking the dimmer switches out so we don't blow the CFs by running them at a lower power.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also, does anyone know if they have come out with CFs that can be but on dimmer switches?
Yes they have. I am yet to try them but I have seen them. They are still quite rare but would imagine that they will become more readily available as the technology is perfected.

Dimmable Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

·
Registered
167 Posts
We just moved into a new apartment and we have some strange fixtures in the main lights in the rooms and hallways and I have been trying to source some decent priced CFL's that will fit the the small fixutres I found some I think at Lowe's but the cost was pretty high for them as they are shaped like the candle flame style with a small base but they are making them just need to do some shopping around.

I have heard that these don't last as long if they aren't left on for a bit and will burn out fast if they are only used for a couple minutes at a time in say a bathroom. Anyone know if this is true or not, not that it matters as any savings in electric would be nice considering what all my lighting and such on my tanks is using up I would like to save some energy where ever I can!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I read somewhere (or someone told me) a long time ago that your brain is able to detect the flicker of a flourescent bulb even if you cannot. So in the long run, it's supposed to be unhealthy for you. I Googled it, and found this:

http://www.daylighting.com/Article-HealthHazardsofFluorescentLighting.htm

I work in a place with flourescent lighting. So when I come home, I want to watch Family Guy under my Philips Reveal 100s.

DJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey davis I take it that you only tinker with low light tanks and no CO2, based on this thread I must be the devil. By the way this morning in PA it was 10 degrees Fahrenheit this global warming is really hot. CF lights are a joke, wait 5 min. and then you get the full effect. Have you ever tried one of those CF flood lights, don't, they can't light up near as much as the old incandescents. Hopefully the LED market will wipe out both Incandescents and CF's.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I buy all of my bulbs from Costco.
I get an 8 pack of the CF flood lights for my recessed kitchen lights, they are like $14 but they give you the energy rebate up front, so the 8 pack only cost like $6 out the door.
I also get the 60 watt or 75 watt equivilent bulbs there and 6 or 8 pack is like $9 but again you get the energy rebate up front so out the door they are like $3 or $4 for the pack.
If you have Costco's in your area, this is where to buy your bulbs, if you don't, maybe online at www.costco.com , but shipping costs may not make this the best deal.

BTW I think they are all Phillips brand but could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hey davis I take it that you only tinker with low light tanks and no CO2, based on this thread I must be the devil. By the way this morning in PA it was 10 degrees Fahrenheit this global warming is really hot. CF lights are a joke, wait 5 min. and then you get the full effect. Have you ever tried one of those CF flood lights, don't, they can't light up near as much as the old incandescents. Hopefully the LED market will wipe out both Incandescents and CF's.
where in this thread did anyone say anything about it being a problem to use something other than low light tanks or that being environmentally irresponsible or CO2 for the aquarium being a problem, or if by not taking the pledge or doing anything it makes you the devil? I personally have a high tech highlight tank, and yes I realize there may be more environmentally frendly ways to enjoy my hobby, ie NPT or low light or hell if we're going that far, an aquarium would be a waste of energy because its not usefull other than for our own enjoyment, which is ludicrous. I feel that its wastefull to use incandecent lighting for your home, you could get the same output from a CFL at a fraction of the energy used. I've never seen one that takes anything cloes to 5 minutes unless its really cold to get to its normal output, mine may take a couple seconds and I dont see it as a big deal because there is plenty of light when it first turns on. I think its smart to make changes where you feel you can without changing your life completely unless your comfortable doing so.

All I want people to do is be concious about the things they do, and how they effect the environment, make whatever changes you can if you feel compelled to do so. Every little bit helps. I'm don't consider myself to be a tree-hugger but I do care about the environment and state of the earth today as well as tomorrow. Like I said I'm not going for a political debate here I just want people to think.

If nothing else, the energy saved by using CFLs in my house helps offset the energy consumed by my aquarium, actually I think I personally save roughly 2 times as much as the hightech aquarium consumes every day.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts