Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know if I want to keep the lotus nice and pretty and below the water (I do), I need to trim trim trim it while it's growing and especially when it makes a run for the top.

When it started it's life as a bulb, i had it a little pot in some a seedling starter. well, it started to grow out of the side of the pot. I freed it and it's been been growing well ever since. However, the point where the leaves start to grow is like maybe an inch off of the bulb. That is also where some nice big roots are starting to grow. It already got 3 decent sized leaves and one small one forming...and the time is approaching where I have to deal with them. Do I:

a) trim the leaf tips off
b) trim the leaf stalk off at the point where they are growing out of the nodes
c) trim the roots as well
d) chop the whole thing slightly closer to the bulb and have it start over and then plant the top portion to grow into a second plant and some combo of the above to teach it to stay lowish

Option D worked by accident on a bulb that shipped as a youngling and got busted in transit...the broken melted part with a few roots actually started to grow, although not nearly as fast. On a side comment, how long do people usually grow their lotuses with the bulb before removing it/it falling off?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have a green tiger lotus that is doing well and growing low. I usually try to trim the tallest leaf at the bulb each week or so. You may need to trim more. Mine is in a low light, non co2 tank.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Option B

I do this all the time. Trim all the leaves off that are not at a satisfactory height for you. Just make sure you leave at least one leaf on the plant. Also make sure it doesn't shade its self either. That will cause leaves to grow upward.

HTH,
Robert.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do most people have leaves growing right out of the bulbs? what "concerns" me is how far up the stalk the first leaves start (and roots).

If I cut the main stalk short, will the remaining stem-bulb start growing leaves, or will I just be left with the main plant that I cut off?
Anyone done this before, or do I get to be the explorer?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Actually, I dont even have a bulb on mine. I just trim the leaves down near the substrate. I would just do that, but leave at least one leaf, as stated above.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
The leaves do not grow right out of the bulb like an Aponogeton. The bulb sprouts, grows into a stem that the leaves grow from. The roots form from the base of the stem not the bulb. The plant can be easily separated from the bulb and a new plant will usually form within a few weeks. Under proper conditions Tiger Lotus gets quite large, the leaves the size of your hand and a root system a couple feet or more. Feeding it NPK at the roots will make it go nuts very quickly. A pot will restrict its growth and feeding. The bulb may stop producing new plants if it is not fed properly, or if light is weak. Plants that are separate from the bulb may produce new bulbs if the plants reach maturity. If you keep them stunted that is not likely to happen. It is not a good idea to bury the bulb. You can let it sit on top of the gravel, or bury the bottom half. As long as the roots reach the gravel it will be fine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had tiger lotus for a long time now and what i noticed they love flourish tabs.When i started i had 3 green and 2 red now i have 7 green and 4 red.I noticed when you see the red root shooting over about a inch from the plant and that where my new on started.I have my lotus's kinda close to each other and they reproduce like crazy i do keep them right by the co2 that can be another reason and the leaves underneath are loaded with little bubbles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts