Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know if I want to keep the lotus nice and pretty and below the water (I do), I need to trim trim trim it while it's growing and especially when it makes a run for the top.

When it started it's life as a bulb, i had it a little pot in some a seedling starter. well, it started to grow out of the side of the pot. I freed it and it's been been growing well ever since. However, the point where the leaves start to grow is like maybe an inch off of the bulb. That is also where some nice big roots are starting to grow. It already got 3 decent sized leaves and one small one forming...and the time is approaching where I have to deal with them. Do I:

a) trim the leaf tips off
b) trim the leaf stalk off at the point where they are growing out of the nodes
c) trim the roots as well
d) chop the whole thing slightly closer to the bulb and have it start over and then plant the top portion to grow into a second plant and some combo of the above to teach it to stay lowish

Option D worked by accident on a bulb that shipped as a youngling and got busted in transit...the broken melted part with a few roots actually started to grow, although not nearly as fast. On a side comment, how long do people usually grow their lotuses with the bulb before removing it/it falling off?

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do most people have leaves growing right out of the bulbs? what "concerns" me is how far up the stalk the first leaves start (and roots).

If I cut the main stalk short, will the remaining stem-bulb start growing leaves, or will I just be left with the main plant that I cut off?
Anyone done this before, or do I get to be the explorer?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.