Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It all started with an idea of a $30 20L from PetSmart for plants with tiny fish ...

Ladies and Gentlemen:

In the left corner, wearing red trunks, we have ADA CUBE GARDEN 120-P HIGH CLARITY GLASS, weighting in at 65G with the current record of 48 x 18 x 18.

In the right corner, wearing red, white and blue trunks, we have Custom 4-side Starfire Lee Mar, weighting in at 83G with the current record of 48 x 20 x 20.

Both contenders are in the brace-less, frame-less, open-top, glass division.

The winner will occupy the place of honor on top of the 12' x 24" x 32" built-in divider between dinning and living rooms, under a 13' ceiling, admired from all 5 sides.

The bout to be scored in the following categories:

1. Quality (pane alignment, cement work, clarity, corner and top edges treatment)
2. Reliability (will it leak in 2 years)
3. Overall proportions and size
9. Availability, price, and delivery time

Judges, you scores, please.

I can get ADA delivered to my door in 3 days for $700 + tax.

I am waiting for a quote on Lee Mar, but already know that it will take 2-3 weeks to manufacture + transit time across the state + $100 crating + $100 freight + tax, delivered to a store 60 mi one-way from me (not a big deal). One concern is what to do if I do not like the quality of the delivered tank.

ADA +1, Lee Mar 0

Given a choice, I'd rather support a "local" business. Moreover, my 3 conversations with ADA store were pretty spotty, with only the last call from the co-owner washing away the sour taste left by the first call. On the other hand, my 3 conversations with 2 Lee Mar reps where nothing but pleasure. Yes, I do put customer service ahead of almost everything else.

ADA +1, Lee Mar +1

ADA's 18 x 18 do concern me a bit, as I'd rather have 20 x 20 width and height. Furthermore, on second thought, I'd rather have 60 x 20 x 20 but a) gluttony is a sin, b) hate to ask my wife again c) would not make it a fair competition.

In short, quality is my by far the biggest criteria, within reasonable price spread. As far as I know, my plants and fish could care less about the brand of the tank they are living in. And, in this specific case, neither do I.

Your votes/comments/oppinions, please.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
i would take the cheaper of the two.

i have never seen a lee mar but i have never ever heard anything bad about them. so i would say their construction is probably top knotch.

..... but so is ADA

so take the cheaper

1 - 2 of 2 Posts