Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 100 gallon long, but the plastic frame around the top is broken. I need to purchase a new one, but cant find anywhere to get one. I dont even know who makes this tank. Any info would be helpfull.

Thanks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
If the frame is properly attached to the glass and just the brace is broken, we can repair the brace.

The old Metaframe 55 gallon all glass tanks had a bad brace design. I reinforced it and it did fine.

You need some sheet abs plastic. Hobby stores carry it in I think 1/8 inch thk by 8 x 10" sheets. There is a new hobby store I just saw on Rodd Field Road.

With some PVC pipe cement we would lap strips of plastic on either side of the break and clamp it until it set. You could do it with several layers of fiberglass and epoxy also.

Its really easy to do. It really depends on whether the rest of the frame is OK.

Per Metaframe, the brace was for looks only. The glass would bow out about 2 inches! They said the glass would never break. I don't know about newer tanks though.

Steve

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went out and looked at it again. Its a four piece frame, left, right, front, and back. It may have never had a center brace, or somebody removed it completely. Its hard to tell. One side has a piece of plastic missing near the center that could have been part of a center brace, and the other side looks like there never was one. The wood canopy it came with has a center brace, but it doesnt look like it would be functional to me. Do you think your idea would still work without an existing center brace to work with?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Kevin,

The Oceanic 75 I have has a four piece frame. Of course the center support is a 10 inch wide piece of glass siliconed in place, which I truely hate for its light absorbing ability.

How wide and high is this tank? Measure the thickness of the front piece of glass.

Does it look like there was a piece of glass siliconed in place as a brace? You would see the silicone marks on the glass.

Also if there is enough plastic on the front and back rim to glue some plastic to we could make it work but we would need a bigger piece of plastic.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts