Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, remedy that situation NOW...do not PACK your sand over your eco=complete....that will spell big trouble in days to come.

also, I've found that a nice flow will take care of cyanobacteria. The only times i've had it is when my flow was low.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The thing that I have a lot of trouble with is the 50% weekly water changes.... and the whole idea of putting in tons of ferts then restarting and doing a big water change, then adding more....

and then I read about it in Diana Walstad's book and I thought and she doesn't do water changes for 6 months and her tanks are fine....

So you see there are two extremes...At this point, honestly, i don't know what to believe.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't think that 4 wpg is too much. I've seen some of Luis Navarro's tanks and they start at 4 wpg and go up to 8 wpg...

more light just means more work, but if you are up to it, then go for it, cuz the rewards are worth it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would like to say that if you decide to go soil substrate, know that it works, real well, the plants grow in nice and green and spread like crazy the need for fertilization. Remember not to have a deeper layer of soil than 1 inch ok? and you'll be good to go. Best wishes, bro.

·
Registered
302 Posts
C., you are not a newb in my book :!: you are the man in my book! Whatever you are doing, it is working.... If it ain't broke, don't fix it is what i always say..

how many gallons is that cube? i mean heck, you got glosso growing in there with no co2!! wow!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
C_perugiae said:
*Should I be adding stem plants to this tank? Right now, it's the hairgrass, Anubias, a little Bolbitis, and a couple onions (C. natans). Oh, can't forget the water lettuce :)
*I am kicking around the idea of trying DIY yeast just for the experience. Does anyone have any tips besides the usual recipes that are all over the internet? Anyone have luck adding a check valve to the line, or am I asking the bottle to blow up if I stick one on there?
Yes, add some fast growing stem plants to help battle the algae and suck up nutrients before them...green hygro will do the trick.

diy yeast is pretty cool. To me, working on it is more fun than a chore. The basica method uses sugar, yeast, and water. there are several methods that include adding baking soda, or gelatin... i don't know if those are worth the time, but perhaps someone else can chime in.

you can add a check valve if you want...make sure that it allows the co2 to flow in the tank and keeps the tank water from flowing into the bottle. honestly though, you don't really need a check valve.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Where do you place your co2 bottle?

I have mine underneath my tank and I don't see how a suction could be made so strong that it would suck up yeast mixture all the way up the tube and then into my tank..... is that possible?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.