Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Introduction and Background

I have been in the ornamental fish hobby for more than 20 Years now (since I was 18 ) and have gone through Cichlids, Discus, saltwater (marine + reef) and more. My introduction to planted tanks goes back 15 years ago with my first low-tech, low-light, yeast CO2 system. Since then, a lot of water and fertilizers has flown. I find this hobby and particularly aquascaping as part of me and my day-to-day life and I totally enjoy attending to my aquariums (and paludariums) for at least two hours every day. I am glad to introduce everyone to one of my tanks which was established in the end of December 2007. This tank is installed in my home office and is my largest planted tank.

About the Layout

The picture I had in mind was a combination of Dutch and nature style tank packed with green and red plants. I have chosen quartz rocks (you can barely see them today) as decoration and arranged them as high mountains with the golden ratio in mind.

Specifications:

Tank: Rena 1.5 meter - 450 liter (330 liter net)
Lighting: light 1.25 WPL (6 X 54W T5 + 5 X 18W Osram Mini Twist at the sides)
Chiller: Teco TR-15 Chiller
Carbon: CO2 + PH controller + 2 outside reactors
Filtration: 2 X Eheim pro 3 2028
Ultraviolet Sterilization: 36W UV
Substrate Heating: Under substrate Heating cable - Rena 15m 100W
Substrate: 1st layer Pumice 2cm, 2nd layer Pumice+peat+humus 3cm, 3rd layer JBL Aquabasis 2cm, 4th layer crushed quartz 5cm.
Water Parameters: pH-5.9, KH-1Gdh, GH-3Gdh, CO2-40ppm, NO3-15ppm, PO4-1.5ppm, 275ms, Temp.-25.5c.

Flora:

Fauna:

Discus, Neon Tetra, Cherry and Amano Shrimp, Otocinclus, Ancistrus, Florida flag, other tetras, and few more…

Tank maintenance:

Besides aquascaping, the tank is fully automated, including:
Automatic water change (100% RO), 100% a week.
Automatic DIY fertilization with peristaltic pumps - KNO3, KH2PO4, KCL, MgSO4, CaCl2, Iron gluconate, Iron EDTA, CSM+B, Flourish Excel.

Technique:

The aquarium is trimmed at least twice a week. Parts of the plants are trimmed from their upper part and part from their lower, all the time trying to maintain a nice flow of colors and density.

Final Thoughts:

The tank is constantly changing in plants species and arrangement and I will try to continue and update it on the forum.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Well, if you dont have a name for your tank yet it should be BLOWN AWAY.
I absolutely love the layout and colors.
Fine work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for numbering the plants, however the printed names are hard to read on my computer screen---for some strange reason. I would love to see the list typed out in another numbered form---if you don't mind----so I can "adore" your work-of-art. It's awesome.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Fantastic! I want to try that! Thank you for letting us know what you are made of! Great job!!!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
What I would like to know is how people control roots forming on stem plants above the soil. Some call these aerial shoots.

·
Registered
29 Posts
:oops:
Thank you everyone!

Thanks for numbering the plants, however the printed names are hard to read on my computer screen---for some strange reason. I would love to see the list typed out in another numbered form---if you don't mind----so I can "adore" your work-of-art. It's awesome.
xavier, specially for you:

Your tank is REALLY beautiful! It's so soft and peaceful looking. I love the colors! The HC on the rock is so amazing. How did you get this to do this? There must be soil up there....
Tex Gal, the HC is just tied with sewing thread to the rock, no need for soil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm curious about your dosing, what kind of technique do you follow?
Actually, it is changing very frequent (every month or so) according to the plant mass and fauna.
This was the daily dosage I used in September:
CMS+B (26g in 1l H2O + 1.6ml HCL + 50mg Vitamin C)- 5.5ml
Flourish Excel - 15.13ml
Iron gluconate 42g + Iron EDTA 34g + MgSO4 90g + HCL 5ml + Vitamin C 500mg + H2O 1l - 3.3ml
KH2PO4 (138g in 1l H2O) - 1.32ml
KCL (400g in 1l H2O) - 7.7ml
KNO3 (333g in 1l H2O) - 7.46ml

It is all pre-prepared in monthly quantities and placed inside two containers (micro+macro) that are attached to two perasteltic pumps.

Container No. 1 (Pumped quantity - 25.42ml a day):
KH2PO4 - 34.41ml
KCL - 200.75ml
KNO3 - 194.44ml
Fertilizers - 429.60ml
Added water - 233.04ml
Total - 662.65ml

Container No. 2 (Pumped quantity - 32.50ml a day):
CSM+B - 143.39ml
Flourish Excel - 394.33ml
Iron - 86.04ml
Fertilizers - 623.76ml