Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a table relating volume to heater wattage needed? For a 50 gal tank, what size heater?

I'd been following the thread on heater types and the discussions of new Ebo's, etc. The overall impression appears to be that the new Ebos might not be as reliable/dependable as the older models.

Stupid question about the titanium heaters. Is the temp control external? Does it need to be mounted on the exterior?

TIA.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have bot Pro-Heat II and Via Aqua titanium heaters. Temperature control is via an external box that's T'd off the power cable.

Here's a link to a wattage chart for the Pro-Heat heater. It varies depending on the amount you need to raiser the temp for a given volume of water.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have seen tables in the past and they usually not reliable. To size a heater one would determine how many degrees above ambient is required.

From Aquatic EcoSystems (bold is my own)

For every 9°F (5°C) difference, there should be 4W of heat per gallon (3.8 liters) of water. Elevated, non-insulated tanks, with a large amount of surface agitation, could require as much as 12W per gallon per 9°F. For small glass aquaria, use 8W per gallon per 9°F.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts