Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Traces and PO4 would be my 2 guesses as to your problem. It could be K, especially if your NO3 dosing has slowed down. Check for PO4, or try adding and extra 1-1.5ppm a week. Adding the reccommended dose of Flourish Trace wont hurt a thing either. Adding some K also won't cause a bit of problems either. Try adding 10ppm of K, a dose of Flourish Trace and some PO4. Really would be interesting to try each one for a few weks seperatly to see wha the real problem was, but adding all three at once would speed things up a bit and help through this slump. Try and keep an eye on your NO3 levels a bit more as they will surely start to be used at a faster rate.

I am sure you know all this but double check your CO2, make sure your testing reagents are not bad, or that your probe does not need calibrated(if you use one) Hope that helps:)

If Myriophillum is not growing, something is missing. Do the acid buffers have a phosphate base? I know some do and that would surely be a sign. Plants that are starved for P can uptake large amounts in a less than a day.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I was not meaning any bad connection when I asked about the buffers. I only wondered if they contained P, which would provide the misisng element right after the wc and cause increase of growth. The only bad thing I have heard about buffers is that it messes with the kH/Ph table, but i thought it was the P in th ebuffer that messed things up :? Really don't know any more than that.

I personally don't see anything wrong with your setup or procedures. Maybe ther are a few extra steps due to using R/O and adjusting it to suit you rpurposes, but soem folks have crappy water and have to do that anyway, others like to start from ) and have complete control. You know you don't need RO for a successful tank and thats what matters:)

You seems to have followed a natural course and solved you problem, ie slow growth. Why? Low PO4. You added some, NO3 uptake increases, growht improves...all sounds good and logical to me. The only thing I will say is, keep a closer eye on NO3 and trace levels as they will be used up faster than you may be used to. That is only logical to due to increased growth, but you know that anyway:)

Now, the important part... PICS!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.