Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi, I happened to stumble on your post and I have a question and some suggestions: why are you adding a acid/ alkaline buffer to the tank? Wouldn't this render your C02 readings useless? Now there is an alkaline buffer (white powder) that adds to the KH (alkalinity)- this shouldn't cause a problem because it's really just baking soda, which many here use to raise their KH without a problem, but if your using acid buffer (the red/pink granules) then you may have less C02 then you think. Also Don't even think about adding more K. THere's more then enough IMO- like you said 65 mg/l for each dosage of equalibrium. "Flourish" is a trace mix I've been using it for the last year on my tank as a trace and it does the trick. If there is a "flourish trace" I can't find it on their website. If you are not dosing any Phos. then dosing to 1ppm will definately get you closer to success. Unfortunatly I can't say how much to add because I never really used it, but like anything start with the recommended dose and go from there.

Jeff

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's great your adding some phosphate to the tank. It sure that can help. I really see a red flag when someone is using acid and akaline buffers in a planted tank. I used to use these products, but soon stopped because I found it rendered the Co2 chart useless. And test kits for CO2 were so inaccurate.... honestly you are shooting blind on your C02 injections using that acid buffer.

If you must and being your boss is so on to seachem, maybe you can remove the co2 injection and do the tank on Excel. At least then you'll know how much Co2 you are adding and then maybe you'll get that gowth you are looking for?

I know that you are just following orders and all that, I get that, but your procedures are just adding more factors to the tank and complicating this whole thing for you and your customers- who would subscribe to these methods and spend a lot of money using these products-not all of which they need. (not to say it can't work- it sounds like your making it work). One must wonder what the objective here is: demonstrating overly complicated procedures that involve using products that make it harder to have a successful planted tank or demonstrating easy to follow, tried and true methods that will increase the chances of the customer's success. One way will give you a happy customer with a lush planted tank that comes back for more business and advice, the other will be a quick buck and see you later when they give up. Just something to think about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.