Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've always used tap water but when I started with corals I obviously got myself an RO/DI unit. For a few months I ran all my tanks on RO but didn't notice any real advantages, actually the plants were more prone to deficiencies than when I was using tap water which makes sense. The one advantage however I did notice and that was in the reproduction rate of my ancistrus, they seemed to enjoy the change in water chemistry. I'm now back to using 80% tap and 20% RO just to dilute my tap a little and keep KH where I want it, it's the only advantage I get from it.

So if you want a lower KH/GH than your tap water is giving you or you are breeding certain fish that prefer cleaner or softer waters it's a good solution, otherwise it really makes little difference in a planted tank, at least in mine.

Regards,
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
739 Posts
One caution about Amquel, this is not what I consider a "complete" water conditioner as it does not remove heavy metals. Now weather you need to remove heavy metals from your tap water or not is another story, but I had to find that out the hard way by loosing all my dwarf cichlids a couple years ago when I decided to try Amquel rather than my usual AquaSafe. Amquel is a great product and I use it when shipping live stock however if your tap water contains heavy metals you may need to use a more complete product.

Giancarlo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts