Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my latest scape. I just did it Friday so it obviously needs to grow in a bit. I would like to enter this into the AGA contest but I am afraid it might not fill in enough in time, especially the glosso. Anybody have anytips on helping it along. I dose daily N/P/K 15.2/1.8/9.6 mg/l respectively and 1 ml flourish every other day. I have 4.5 wpg NO florescent, brand new Eco complete and a AC150. Yes I know it needs a background (black) and the Nymphiodes may need to go. Maybe a little more Anubias Nana "petite" in the midground would help too.

What are your thoughts of the over all layout and plant usage. I plan on replacing the hydro Sunset with some Ludwigia ovalis next week. Hopefully the ovalis will be a good match/ balance with the Lysomachia nummularia on the right side. I am going fot the concave effect. I think the wood scaping needs better wood, especially the right corner but that was all I had. I want to find more that is thinner and with more character. Need to take a hike by the river though for that, though.

Anyway, lay it on me. I know you will Carlos;) Please, be honest.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I think you have a great start Dennis. :) Once it fills in, it will look even nicer. I like the look of the driftwood you chose.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Good start, Dennis! I agree with moving the sunset out of there. I think that rock smack in the middle, will seem really out of place when the foreground fills in more. I see the petites are doing well for you!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh, that rock is in the middle. Dang. Hard to get things where you want them in a 10 gallon. I wanted the point where the sticks meat to the rocks left to be the focal point. Hmmm. Yep, the nanas are doing great. Those are only a few of the trimmings and extras;) Thanks

My reason for moving the Sunset is because the leaves are to long, the color does not quite fit, basically the plant does not fit the scape.. Ijust threw it in to help with nutrient absorbtion and algae control. Thanks for the comments. You don't have to be nice though;)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Looking good, Dennis.

I think the Ludwigia ovalis will look gorgeous in this layout.

I think I see Hottonia in the back left of the tank. I would try moving this plant more into the midground of the ten gallon. It is rather light demanding, and its growth habit of growing at an angle doesn't make it the best background plant.

The driftwood could stand to be a little bit more impressive. They aren't arranged badly, but some longer, more eye catching wood will really help this little tank.

Let it fill in and keep us updated. Good luck. :)

Carlos

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a little update. Tank is now 1 month old. Lost all of my Amano shrimp:(. I am guessing hte sudden change of water quality after the initial setup. I know the Eco=Complete buffered the water higher than the tank was. Finally getting my ferts in order thanks to everyone:) The last 2 weeks the NO3 levels has remained a constant 10ppm. I dose in this tank: macros daily Flourish and Flourish Fe on alternating days. I will begin upping my trace dosing this week. I am dosing weekly N-25.6ppm, P-3.6ppm, K- 20.8ppm, Mg-8ppm, Flourish 4ml, Fe 3ml

The tank is a little flat feeling but hopefully the Rotala indica and Hydrophila Rosverang will grow up in time for the AGA. THe growthis not an issue but the indica likes to droop and is starting to grow horozontal again. I thought P would help that but 3.6ppm a week seems like it should be enough. I guess it is just hte high light (45watts NO florescent) that is doing it. maybe more traces will help.

Anyway, enough rambling:) Keep tearing it apart.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nice. It grew in very nice. Mess with your parameters to get the reds out of the plants. Its too green. I have the same problem i love green plants and am luke warm to reds... so my tanks are always too green.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey dennis that is a nice tank you got there.I especially like your driftwood placement.I like the aquascapes that have alot of green look like yours :lol:

·
Registered
215 Posts
dennis said:
Just a little update...Keep tearing it apart.
What would happen if you swiched the locations of Hygro and Lysimachia? I think your species contrast could have more impact that way. One way to scrape off hair algea from driftwood without removing it is by using a pottery trimmer to scrape and a siphon to remove.
___
Jeff

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the thoughts all. One thing I must say is that I take very unrealistic photos. Definately not that green in person but still need to bring out thereds more, certainly.

Jeff, your thought about switching the Hydro and Lysomachia is interesting. Originally I was going to replace the hydro with Ludwigia ovalis but I was unable to find any. One problem I see is that there is so little room to work where the L. nummularia is. I envisioned a nice stand rising sharply to the back corner but its hard to scape the nummularia to do that. Maybe I need to ditch it for something else. Any species ideas?

Don't worry, that algae will be gone soon;)

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well here is an update for anyone who cares:) I just entered it in the AGA so we'll see. I can't wait to get the judges, and your, feedback:)

Sorry to do this to you but check out the link as they are big pics:(

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Dennis, looking so much better! My only critique is that the background plants are all trimmed to the same height. If the indica were taller, cascading to the left followed by the Hygro then the Hottonia. To the right, have some Lysimachia behind the pearlweed and continue the cascade to the right. My 2 cents worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts