Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon that I bought a stand for today. The tank is well established but I need to get it light enough to move to where the stand is. Is it ok to drain the tanks water until its light enough to pick up, then fill it back up with the water that was drained once its on the stand? I figure if its done this way I wont have to re cycle it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The cycle bacteria do not live in the water really. They live inthe filter, gravel, and ont he plants/decorations. The gravel is your biggest source for biological filtration, unless you have a really great filter:) Draining all of the wter wil be just fine, i have done so many times with no ill effect.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What you describe was how I moved my 55 gallon to the other room in my house. Stand and all.... what a job. I left 1 inch of water for the fish and then moved it. To play it safe I put half of the aquarium water back and then topped it off with fresh. If you are doing your water changes frequently then you can potentially change more of the water and it shouldn't harm the tank at all, but if this tank has high nitrates from not getting changed much then you could have problems with the fish getting stressed from the shock of such a large change in parameters- 20ppm Nitrate to 0 ppm for example. In the latter example I would definitely recommend reusing most of the water and maybe just replace a 1/4 of it.

Good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, I figure with it being a 10 gallon, it shouldnt be too much work to use the same water. Two 5 gallon buckets is it hehe. Thanks for the replies and feedback and I should be moving my tank to a stand tomorrow!!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
With a 10 it isn't quite as critical, but anything much bigger and it's much safer to remove everything from the tank - substrate and all. You have a huge chance of breaking a seam or the whole tank when you move it with anything in it. If you do move it with the substrate it is best to move it with the stand and all as someone else mentioned.
I'd always take the fish out since that's really stressful and one wrong shift of something in the tank and they could be smashed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts