Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any plants that can go both ways? I was thinking of making a small tank a larger display, in and out of tank.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Many plants can indeed be grown in several ways. Or very similar looking plants can be used in and out of the tank. Look at some Philodendrons that look like certain Anubias, for example. Ferns are another things that you can find with different species that look similar. For example, Bolbitis and Dryotperis erythrosora have similar frond shape.
Many of the plants that are grown under water will also grow above the surface, given a chance. Often the leaf is different.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
There are a lot of aquarium plants that can be grown emersed. If you look in the Plantfinder (upper left of the page in the gold bar) and then look at the right side of the page, it says "Can be grown emersed" select yes and you'll get a long list of plants that you can grow out of the water. I've had Hygrophilas regularly grow out of the water if I don't trim them back quickly enough. Anubias, Hydrocotyle, Lobelia cardinalis, and some Ludwigias are also very easy to grow out of water.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have a small forest of Hygrophila polysperma growing in a dry tank. A few months after all the water evaporated I saw one little green leaf emerge from the substrate. Now there are about 20 individual plants.

Except for a weekly misting I don't give them any care, although at some point I might have to thin them out.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts