Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been a couple posts lately about terrestrial mosses and whether they will survive in the aquarium. Here is a moss (no idea on what Genus or species...just a common moss found around East Texas in shady areas) that I collected about 3 weeks ago from a sidewalk at work.

I put it in a 1 quart tupperware with some other aquatic plants/mosses on my desk at the office and kept it under a 30 watt flourescent fixture (and set it outside a few days when the weather was nice). All the emersed growth turned very dark/brown after 1 week. Then, new submersed growth started showing up. It looks the same as what the emersed growth did at the time I collected it (currently, the emersed moss outside that I left alone is in a reproductive stage), except much lighter in color. The lighter color may be from low nutrients (the flame moss and fissidens I have in the same container are also very light compared to my tank at home).

Under a 10X magnifier:

I'm going to bring some to the house soon, once I'm sure I can keep it from getting covered in algae. I'll post updates as they come.

-Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Hmm, interesting.

I'm not sure it will be able to tolerate submersed conditions on a permanent basis, but heck, keep up the good work and let us know! Perhaps this is an untapped resource for new aquatic moss species ;)

Nice pics by the way, what camera/lens are you using?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice pics by the way, what camera/lens are you using?
It's a Sony Mavica MVC-CD400. The lens is fixed on it (not changable) and says "Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar; 6x precision digital zoom". I don't know if that means anything special or not.

My camera at home is one of the cheaper Canon's (powershot?...less than $150) . So, when I want good close-ups, I borrow the Sony from work. I also have an Olympus Camedia C-4000 at work, but the Sony is FAR better.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

As of Thursday, there has been no more growth. Even if it could have been coaxed to grow (with better lights, CO2, more ferts... ) , there are much easier mosses that look just as nice in a tank. I have tossed this one.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Dr Tan ("The Moss ID guy" from Singapore) said at the AGA convention (paraphrased):

"Don't drown terrestrial mosses, it's not nice"

:D

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Zapins! Yep, it just didn't do anything. In fact, it kinda looked like it was diminishing, but I didn't take any pics to compare.

Hooha, that sounds like good advice.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:yield: ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts