Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I gave my oldest son a 29gal aquarium for Christmas a few years back. He tried to breed a few types of fish and he was unable to find any success. I ended having to take over the tank because he “was trying some kind of Darwinian experiment to make indestructible Mountain Minnows”. It seemed more like torturing them to me so I took it over. I was running the tank in a spare room and found the Walstad method after I joined APC. I was unsatisfied with my 55 gal at the time. My 55 is in a very visible part of the house and I have an agreement with my wife that the tank is fine to keep as long as it looks good. So before making the jump into the dirt, I made a experiment to see what to expect if I redid the 55 using the Walsted method. When I went for it with the 29 it had a hard start I did not sift the dirt and it had wood chips in it so it was tea colored for a while but turned out so nice. During this time I learned so much from this site my 55 went into a full jungle stunning look we love it so there is no reason to re-do this tank. After a while my son decides to move out to his own place so I returned the now low maintince tank to him, kind of a graduation. So when he comes over to our house he says his all friends love his tank. One of them likes it so much he wants to setup one. Now all these boys are collage age and he says this makes sense to him to use normal biological process to run the tank. He is so interested now he is reading Diana’s book to help his friend and to know about his tank. I went over to his place today and he is now taking care of his tank. The female Mountain Minnows look full of eggs and the plants are growing fast he even did a trim on his own it’s been about a month under his care. So I would say this is a way to go for someone who is not going to do high tech mainly due to immaturity like the young starter aquarist and anyone that appreciates the natural way.

Tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts