Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have an axiom that I sort of live by that there is no such thing as a stupid Question.
Because it is easier to deal with stupid questions than the catastrophy created by the question not asked. :)

I am planning a 75G planted Aquarium with several fishes Swords, Mollies, Neon Tetras, Corys, and Kuhlies.

IT has been a few years since my last aquarium.

so here's my stupid question.:D

What should I be testing the water for? and, What are the best test kits I can buy?:confused:;)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
You are very right about asking questions ;)

The main things we test for in planted aquariums are NO3, PO4, pH, KH and GH. As far as the "best" test kits, I think that goes to La Motte or Hach but those kits are not cheap. I use a Hanna pH/TDS meter and LaMotte kits when I test, which is pretty rare these days. Some people don't like to spend much money on test kits but I think, given the amount of money we spend on our tanks, filters, plants and fish, accurate test kits are a fairly small expense ;)

Whatever you do, do not rely on your LFS to test your water! They use the cheapest, most unrelieable kits there are (dip sticks) since most LFS test water for free.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I use Tetra Laborette, cheap probably not too accurate but works for me. The only time I test is wehn I start a new tank (for NH4, NO2, NO3) bec it helps me tell when the cycling is complete and it would be safe to add livestock. I use a lean EI dosing scheme so I don't test for other nutrients routinely.

I test the GH of my RO water every once in a while. It helps me tell when its time to replace the membrane. Here is a reasoanably priced TDS meter that will probably do a better job http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/3957/product.web

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.