Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know from the irrepressible Tex Gal, I got a new tank as my own foray into the planted tank world. The tank was to have been delivered in December, but got delayed. We finally picked it up on the 7th of February. It's been sitting in our dining room since. Just staring at me. (And Tex Gal's been jusstt ssttaarriinngg at me too.)

Says she, “Aren't you excited?” Says he, “Sure.” (X 999)

Anyway, it became time. It had to be set up, even though all the details had not matured. Specifically, I don't have a stand.

So, I cobbled together a nasty wood stand over the weekend and we set it up. Y'all aren't going to see any pics til I have a suitable stand. But here is a rundown on what I have going:

24X24X20 rimless tank w/ starfire glass on three sides.
4 tube TechLight
200w in-line heater
2217 Eheim Filter
10lb CO2 tank w/all the stuff

Tex Gal set me up with a few (!!) plants. I planted 4 varieties of mosses, 4 or 5 varieties of Java Ferns, 7 or 8 varieties of Crypts and some glosso for ground cover. My hardscape is mostly petrified wood. I do have a few unobtrusive pieces of DW, but certainly not the centerpiece. My vision is way less variability of species than Tex Gals tank. Also, I am looking for way less intensity of ferts.

We set up the filter this morning just before I had to leave for an out of town trip. Tex Gal says the tank is clear and looking nice.

I keep you posted as things develop here....:peep:

·
Registered
173 Posts
dont care if the stand is bad let us see it!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
My 125 gal has been sitting on cinder blocks with a black cloth skirt around it, can't be any worse off than that.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No pics until you get a good stand?!? How long is that going to be?
Well, if you ask Tex Gal she would think maybe 2012, just before the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world.

OK, ok. I just got home from my out-of-towner. I'll put something up. But please have very low expectations, cuz it ain't pretty.:-|

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I don't see any 'nastiness'! With my constructing abilities, I'd say you're just a veneer off from having a great looking stand there! Looks great! Gee, it must be nice having such a great source for plants available to you. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
It looks good! It looks nearly grown-in already, your plant supplier must be a top-notch grower! ;)

-Dave

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I see what you've done, make certain our expectations were rock bottom and then we're be pleasantly surprised when you show your pics. Sneaky.

While your stand is rather rough, it's not that far from being a nice piece of furniture (doors, veneer or paint, etc). Are you going to fix it up or get something different?

The tank itself is looking great. The upright rock and the crypt to the front and left of it make a nice focal point. I'm not really fond of the nearly white rock in the front left corner though, it stands out a bit too much right now. With time the brightness should soften as stuff grows on the rock.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here's a little update for anybody who might be interested. First, most all of my crypts melted :mad2:. But in some bizarre karma I'm sure this will all work out. Tex Gal gave me a bunch of mature plants to put in my immature tank. Let's just look at it this way, now everything will be growing up together.

My ammonia is still through the roof. So no critters until we can get that under control.

My vision for what I want just doesn't seem to be coming together. But I guess I'll just tweak and tweak until it comes together.

I'd post some pics, but there's really nothing good to see. Everything looks worse than when I set it up except for the fact that the water is clear.

I do have a stand on the way. I think it will be really nice. It will be made of Philippine mahogany, which is commonly used on wood boats for trim work.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Your first meltdown, welcome to the world of Crypts! :)

My vision for what I want just doesn't seem to be coming together. But I guess I'll just tweak and tweak until it comes together.
That's part of the fun. You'll find yourself always changing a little something here and there.

I do have a stand on the way. I think it will be really nice. It will be made of Philippine mahogany, which is commonly used on wood boats for trim work.
Sounds like a beauty!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts