Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More Cardinal Shrimp breeding success!

I now have had my first berried (in captivity) female give birth! There are 7 newly hatched that I can see in my tank and perhaps a few more hidden. This is a exciting day for me and it was about 20 days from berry to birth. I still have 6 berried and waiting on them now and should be within 3 to 4 days.

I will indeed pay attention to survival rate as well and let you know how it goes. I was able to observe this from start to finish and this is further evidence these shrimp will be showing up as "captive bred" in the hobby soon and the destruction of their natural habitat will perhaps slow.

There are more than a dozen folks that I know of in the US that have so far been successful and surely there are more.

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congratulations Bill. That is very exciting indeed. Any idea what the egg capacity has been for the berried females? Also, how large are these shrimp ending up as mature adults?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess they are close to 5/8 of an inch or perhaps 3/4 on the larger ones. I'd say 10 to 15 eggs is max as the eggs are basically normal size for dwarf shrimp and the young are born at about 2mm size.

I will try for a couple photos, but my glass is covered with a lot of boi film. I took a few this morning, but the quality was bad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is great Bill. Some of the early information on those guys was that adult size was 1cm. It is nice to hear that some of them are getting much larger than that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts