Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hong Kong Black Paradise fish is a labyrinth fish named after my grandfather's homeland : Hong Kong island. It is closely related to wild fighting fish, Betta spp.

In April 2008, during my trip to southern China, my friend, Zhou Hang caught a male black paradise fish in the countryside of Guangdong province of China. A day before I left China, my another friend, "Yellowman" decided to bring me to another location to collect black paradise fish not far from Shenzhen (also near Hong Kong).

It was a beautiful Monday morning, 2 of us took a bus to our destination. About 2 hours later, we reached a small town where people speak Hakka dialect. From that town, we took a motor cycle taxi to the coastal area.

The beautiful scenery at the coastal area:

Walking pass the fish ponds:

Finally, I am back to my grandpap homeland....wow, it's so beautiful!!!

Paradise on earth!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As mentioned just now, few days before this trip, Zhou caught me a male paradise fish. So, I decided to collect a female fish in this location so that they can breed at my home aquarium.

The habitat:

Mosquito fish (Gambusia sp.) introduced to this stream.

After few hours later, I finally caught a female paradise fish hidden in the leaf litter. The water is almost still & a bit polluted. After taking pictures, both of us left this place & went to eat the cheap seafood at the nearby coastal town.

Unidentified species:

Lantern bug (Pyrops sp.) found resting on a tree:

Few months later, they spawned in my aquarium. The buble nest build by the male paradise fish:

Male black paradise fish (Macropodus hongkongensis) has the longer fins (& more colourful)compared to female.

The female:

The juvenile (their baby):

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
VERY nice pictorial!

Your web site is a thing to note too! I visit it every so often - it's like a mini-trip to places I can only dream of.

Thank you!
--Nikolay

·
Registered
223 Posts
Does anyone know how to import a fish from another country to US. I'm thinking of getting a few from Vietnam, but not sure how to do that legally.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Does anyone know how to import a fish from another country to US. I'm thinking of getting a few from Vietnam, but not sure how to do that legally.
Legal import is pretty involved. If you want to import only a few fishes I don't really know what's needed to do it legally. If you will be importing several species of fish you will basically be a wholesale importer:

First thing you need is to live close to an airport that has a Fish and Wildlife inspection station. Second you need a permit. Third you need a reliable supplier (exporter) from Vietnam (you can get scammed very easily). Fourth - enough tanks to keep the fish in. Fifth - enough time to run everything.

All exporters have a minimum order. Shipping accounts for about 50% of your price, or even more. Usually there is a lot of dead fish arriving because the exporters try to pack in very little water (weight considerations).

Keeping the fish alive and healthy is almost a full time job, even if you have one single minimum order in your tanks.

What I described above is 50% of the work you need to do. Communicating with customers over the internet is the other half.

You can do it, but you need to approach it as a serious business.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts