Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blyxa aubertii is one of my favorite plants. Easy to grow. Easy to propagate. Flowers easy. Given good light, it gets reddish leaves.

It does get loose from the substrate after awhile and must be pushed back. At that point is a good time to divide.

http://www.gwapa.org/membergallery/albums/album12/SSC_0074.jpg

http://www.gwapa.org/membergallery/albums/album12/SSC_0075.jpg

Here's an older picture of blyxa getting the ideal conditions for full red growth!

http://www.gwapa.org/membergallery/albums/album12/33gal_d.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I like Blyxa aubertii too although I've never seen one so beautifully red before. I like that it doesn't spread runners all over the tank. You put it where you want it and it stays put.

·
Registered
373 Posts
catherine,
How deep is you tank and how tall are the leaves. I really love the flowers protruding thru the surface and that is partly why i acquired these plants. What is the wattage and duration of your lighting to achieve the nice red coloration?
I just planted 12 B. aubertii in my 24" deep 90g. It took me a few days to figure out that i needed to remove some of the outer leaves from new plants to get the new plants to stay in the substrate. The first 6 went in the back corner and did not get the trimming; i resorted to large stones to help keep the "ballons" on the bottom. All the old leaves melted anyway. The next few went in the middle of the tank. If the leaves reach the top of the water, i will keep the ones in the back. Otherwise, i will keep the other plants in the middle. Either way, some will likely be available for sale or trade. My tank probably doesn't need 12 of these rather wide plants.
Neil

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Wow, I've never seen Blyxa that red either. Mine has a very nice subtle pink tint, but it's not even clsoe to the color of yours.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lildark185: the red plant next to the blyxa is alternathia reneckii.

nfrank: its a 30 gallon. It was a 96 watt with CO2 and 8-10 hours light. You can see it stands alone to absorb all the light.

Here is another picture of the flowering blyxa just to show you how it is badly neglected. The water has evaporated 1-2 inches, and the plant has almost floated up to the surface. You can see the roots coming out of the sand. This plant can be divided into two. It needs to be divided and re-planted.

Also there are some brown outer leaves. The inner green is growing very fast. The outer leaves are older. Also it is crowded with other plants.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
I liked mine too. Grew great, flowered like all get-out. Just got too big for my taste so I sold it.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
The most mine gets is somewhat bronze when it gets morning sun during the summer. Right now it's almost pure green (in a 33 gallon tank w/2 x65w CF). It does flower regularly but the flowers never makes it out of the water. Then again, when it starts getting big enough to flower out of the water, I pull it, divide it, replant half and trade the other. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts