Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...hey! we're down to one pencilfish. If he dies, I assume it was a bad batch. If he lives, I assume he killed the 6 other fish. Place your bets.

PS If it turns out to be answer Number 2, what do you do with a killer? I know he *supposedly* would chill out in my 72, but, sorry, he's not going near my other fish. I could hire him out, I guess....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would say you probably had a decent batch but they all died due to cramped, stressful conditions and conspecific aggression (possibly not from any one individual but likely multiple fish trying to establish a pecking order). The result is one remaining fish, which just might have been lucky enough to survive said aggression, but isn't necessarily "the killer." At this point he may survive the stress of being the only fish left in the tank without the safety and security of a group...or he may die from that stress.

Either way, I don't think it will indicate a "bad batch" or a rogue killer. If anything, it just points to the fact that proper care and consideration weren't taken in the first place and they were casualties of an ignorant and impulsive purchase.

So, if that qualifies as option 3...that's where my money will be.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Oh, that blows that you lost so many of them. It could be a toss up as to what happened, but personally I still wouldn't rule out a bad batch. Or aggression.... Or option #3.....

Yes, try hiring him out as a "hit man" and see how much he can make for you..... ;)

Sorry I don't have a more logical answer for you, but sometimes there are just mysteries that are never solved.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ignorant and impulsive purchases are never good. Thanks for reminding me of that.

What do people out there have for quarantine tanks?

I really never thought that keeping 7 one-inch fish in a planted 5 gallon tank for 3 weeks would be a problem. I guess the aggression factor was big, and I missed that. Apologies to all, especially the victims.

Stupid human.

PS thanks, Jan for all of your help & insights, you are always very kind.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I use a 10 gallon for Q, but I wouldn't have hesitated to put that amount of small fish in a 5 either, had they not turned out to be aggressive. I wouldn't feel bad about it if I were you. At least you Q, which is more than many people can say. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts