Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What devices do U use to provide flow in your aquarium?

• Canister(s) Only

Votes: 58 39.2%
  • Powerhead(s) Only

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Canister(s) + Powerhead(s)

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Canister(s) + Hydor Korelia (propeller types)

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Canister(s) + Other mix

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Powerhead(s) + Hydor Korelia (propeller types)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Powerhead(s) + Other mix

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • HOB

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • HOB + Other mix

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other (Please elaborate!)

Votes: 10 6.8%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What devices do you use to get satisfactory flow in your aquarium? Is the canister filter(s) enough, or do you need a Korelia/Powerhead also? If you use spraybars or multiple returns, feel free to elaborate how your flow flows!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For my paludarium I use 3 powerheads (internal filter type) spaced out evenly on the back wall. The flow comes out in small powerful jets, but the movement overall in my tank is lacking, plus they clog up quickly making maintenance a pain! I am definitely ready to upgrade!! Hopefully someday I will buy a combo that will provide flow to all of my plants.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I have a HOB (mainly for filtering) and a powerhead to help with water movement. If I had it to do over again (aka, if I had extra $$ laying around for a new filter) I'd go with a canister and probably would keep the powerhead for flow assistance. My tank is a 50gal Long ( 48x12x18 ).

·
Registered
766 Posts
Same here, I have a HOB filter with a powerhead for flow. If I had the room I'd go with a canister filter.
Probably 200 gph with the HOB and the powerhead on a 20gallon. Compared to my Reef tank which has 2,090gph on a 55 gallon from the sump returns and additional powerheads. Turns the volume over 38 times every hour :cool::loco:

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I honestly have never understood the need for powerheads (in addition to filters) in planted tanks, unless the tank is some unusual shape that might prevent flow.
In my case, it's plant density that prevents flow (and the fact that my HOB can't sit dead center due to a center brace on the tank). Without the power head, the right quarter of my tank has no movement at all and detritus settles on the leaves...then algae nestles in... :Cry: The powerhead pushes the water in that part of the tank out from the dense plants and over to the HOB intake.

-Dave

·
Registered
766 Posts
I honestly have never understood the need for powerheads (in addition to filters) in planted tanks, unless the tank is some unusual shape that might prevent flow.
My HOB filter really doesn't produce any usable flow IMO. Just a little surface aggitation, and nothing for the mid-bottom area.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
In my 46g tank I use a single Eheim 2215 for both flow and filtration.

In the 180g tank I use two Eheim 2217s and a closed-loop system that runs the CO2 reactor and UV unit. It is powered by an in-line Eheim 1260 pump.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
For 5 out of 7 tanks I only use a canister filter so that's what I voted. I have a pentagon tank that had a dead area with just the canister filter so I use a powerhead for that tank. My last tank I tried to make as a fast flowing stream so it has a canister filter and 2 powerheads all on one end pointing to the other end where I've placed the returns. The powerheads are connected by pvc pipe that's under the substrate to quickfilters on the far end. Yes the water blasts around the tank, but the fish are really happy and the plants don't seem to care.

I had the opposite problem with my 20L as the flow from the Eheim 2213 was too intense for the fish I had in there. I ended up slightly enlarging the holes in 2 spraybars and connecting them end to end across the back of the tank. There is now a gentle flow throughout the tank and my fish no longer huddle under plants and driftwood for protection.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:faint2:Geese! Jeff.:p:., are you able to keep fish from getting plastered on the glass? I bet they love that flow though!:D

Davemonkey, I'm in the same boat. The junk settles then algae grows. Shrimp and ottos help clear the leaves, but still not enough! :tear:

Cs_gardener, I have always wanted to do a river tank style, nothing crazy, but good directional flow. All the fish I have had always like current. How much maintenance do you have to do to keep the flow up? If you setup more tanks, would you use the river method again?

Thanks everyone for posting! I thought canisters only would dominate hands down, but already there are tons of different setups mentioned! This really shows how different each of our aquariums are, even if the methods/ styles we use are similar. I just...can't comprehend....all of the variables...:eek:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Geese! Jeff.:p:., are you able to keep fish from getting plastered on the glass? I bet they love that flow though!
Haha ya, SW fish really love that flow. But it's really more for the corals, the flow takes away the waste and brings food to them. Rule of thumb in a reef tank is - always more flow, up too the point before sand starts to get kicked up. :D

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Maintenance for my river tank isn't too bad. I clean the quickfilters monthly as well as the fine media in the canister. It isn't usually because of the flow being decreased, it's more because some little particulate matter is remaining suspended and I like seeing clean water.

The tank is 38 gallons (3 ft long) and I have an Eheim 2026 and 2 Maxijet powerheads. I think they're model 1200 but I'd have to doublecheck to be certain. When the quickfilter gets clogged it will slow the flow from the Maxijets a bit. I use the quickfilter for the Aquaclear powerheads because it's easy to slide on the tubing I have fitted into the PVC pipe at the opposite end of the tank. They also hold debris to them better when I'm removing them for cleaning than sponges do.

I like having the one fast flow tank but I really like gouramis and angels so I don't see myself setting up more river tanks. If I had more room (and money!) I'd happily set up a longer river tank though. The giant danio, cherry barbs, rosy barbs, and yoyo loaches I have in the river tank love the flow and they really spend a lot of time cruising the currents. I have mostly easy care plants in there - Anubias, java ferns (all varieties), Bolbitis, Val nana, Crinum natans, Potamogeton gayii, and a red rubin sword that is finally looking pretty good. I think it would be hard to grow most stem plants because they'd be flattened by the current and that's not really the best look for them. ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
'Canisters Only' people are starting to come out of the woodwork! I am still curious what the 'Other' category people are running, if its not a conventional filter, what is it? A sump with a pond pump?!

Thanks for the details cs_gardener:D, I definitely want to setup a tank like that for some lampeyes!

Cavan, you must be talking about the guy who breathes in a bag and puts an airpump in it:spit:...I wet myself when I read that thread!! It really was funny, but then I had to do laundry.... :bolt:

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
cs gardener, I would love to hear more about your Angelfish and your tank.

If it is okay to post about it here, great. If not, please provide a link or PM.

I am interesting in this thread because I am about to transfer plants and fish to my first ever 75 gallon tank. As cash flow allows, I will be adding lights, substrate, plants, fish and filters. Of course in the meantime, I will be transferring what I have now to that tank (currently a Marineland BIO-Wheel 330 that I have used since 1991). I currently have a Giant Spongefilter with airline hose just to provide pretty bubbles to watch until I have enough time and money to actually start doing something.

Great thread and great question.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts