Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started this last fall. It was a sad mess and never thrived. So, I tore it down, put in a different substrate, lots more plants, and finally completed it yesterday. Plants are several anubias, Java fern, rotala, myrio, an ozelot sword, dwarf sag, tissue cultured green wendtii, crypt balansae, hygro compacta, and a lotus bulb (I never have luck with bulbs, but I keep trying). It’ll be a jungle, but I love that look. Sure looks bare though!!

I’ll be moving the heater and filter to the end, I think. I keep the filter for water movement. Plus I’ll always have a seeded filter available should I need it. I may have to change the bulbs to a lower wattage too.

I know there are people who can set up a dirted tank without getting dirt everywhere and nice even soil and gravel edges. I am not one of them, lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,630 Posts
Your new setup looks ten times better than the one before. This time, you've got the heater, lights, and a nice assortment of plants from the "get-go." The substrate is perfectly proportioned and I'm guessing it contains a nice, organic-type soil. If the water is reasonably hard, the plants should take off within first week. I hope we can follow your progress to a beautiful, thriving, underwater garden!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your new setup looks ten times better than the one before. This time, you've got the heater, lights, and a nice assortment of plants from the "get-go." The substrate is perfectly proportioned and I'm guessing it contains a nice, organic-type soil. If the water is reasonably hard, the plants should take off within first week. I hope we can follow your progress to a beautiful, thriving, underwater garden!
Thank you! I like it much better too. I was a lot more confident setting this one up, but I sure do appreciate your vote of confidence. You mentioned some algae liking cold water in a long ago thread, and that scared me into some heater purchasing, lol. The substrate is the same potting mix (generic potting mix as I couldn’t find the MG stuff last week) I used in my successful bowl, so I expect it’ll do well. And my water is quite hard based on testing. I do hope to soon see a thriving underwater garden!!

Edited to say the rocks and log aren’t on the substrate. They’re set directly on the glass bottom.

I love the light gravel, which I wasn’t sure about initially. It reminds me of the beautiful freshwater springs I swam in as a kid in Florida—crystal clear water with white sand, plants, and fishes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts