Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you make solutions that last several years, a year or just several months? I guess macronutrients will last longer than micronutrients because of the iron/metal chelators.

I'm in the process of making my own KNO3, KH2PO4 and CSM+B solutions, so I'd like to calculate the concentration based on the dosing schedule.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
You can use a little ascorbic acid and potassium sorbate to keep them fresh longer. Also, using purified water helps.

You'll want an opaque container for the micros. Most of the issues with chelators breaking down are due to light. So long as the pH is not high they should last a few months.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I intentionally keep my supply low. When I first got my ferts and dosing bottles I mixed up the most concentrated solution I could. My intention was to have it last longer before needing to remix.

The problem though, is that I needed to change my ratio of NPK a few times. Now I mix the 500ml bottle so instead of using a syringe to get 1-5ml, I instead squeeze it up to the 30ml line and just dump from there. Soooooo much easier. The bottle is used in 2 weeks and if I need to adjust I can easily do so.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone!

Well, I already bought 3 x 1liter bottles of demineralized water. It's easiest for me to dump the salts of macro/micro nutrients in each 1000ml bottle and then vary the dosage.

Based on my current calculations, macros will last ~24 weeks, micros ~16 weeks. Is that okay or should I dilute it more? I agree, it's much easier to have a 30-50ml dose than 1-3ml. And a bit safer too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts