Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well This is the start. I just finished detrimming an AGA 5.5g tank. I plan on building an Oak ADA style stand, does anyoen have pictures of theirs inside and out?

Need to figure out the lighting. Any suggestions for a 16x8x10 tank? Anyone using the Archea from AFA and what are its dimensions?

I will be order some Aquasoil soon, thinking of the Amazonia II and the AII powder. Can't decide on ferts yet any suggestions? Thinking either the PFerts liquids and tabs or the ADA, probably not going to do powder on such a small tank.

CO2 will be via a 2.5lb CO2 tank probably and either a Rex or GLA with the Ideal needle valve. Glass is going to be Cal Aqua as it is cheaper than the ADA stuff. I will be using the Cal Aqua inline CO2 diffuser.

Filtration is yet to be decided a canister that is going to be easy and has 13mm 1/2" connections for my pipes.

Thats all for now.

Craig

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up some lights tonite. Got 2 of the 13 watt OTT Lights for $52.99 with tax. Local fabric store has them marked down from $49.99 ea to 50% off till Saturday. Debating on wether to grab 2 more to ahve around.

I will probably order my soil this weekend also then I just need my CO2 stuff.

Craig

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well just an update. I've figured out some more of my equipment.

Filtration- eheim 2213, hydor inline heater, Cal Aqua Labs Inline Diffuser, Cal Aqua Labs Glass Nano kit.

CO2- GreenLeaf Aquatics has a new Paintball Regulator wih Fabco Valve, custom built.

Fertilizers- Pfertz High Tech + Root Tabs

Substrate- ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia + Amazonia Powder and a couple substrate addatives

Lighting- 2 OTT Lights 13w ea 26w total Lights; should I get a 3rd one for 39 watts total?

Tank AGA 5.5 detrimmed

I hope to place some orders later this week for equipment and such..

Craig

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice from everyone I just got my equipment ordered along with my AS and such so I will post picks as stuff arrives hopefully by the end of the week. Still need to get a few more rocks and some wood for the tank then pick out plants before I add any water. Here are a few pics, I still need to do a little work on the tank and cut a board for under the tank so t isn't sitting on wire rack then get a mat of some kind under it between the glass and wood..

Here is what I picked out:

Tank: Detrimmed AGA 5.5
Lighting: 2 Ott Light 13w ea
Stand: Brushed Nickel Rack Unit from lowes with some grass mats ziptied to the bottom to keep the equipment hidden and lined the shelves with bamboo mats for my tools to sit on.
Substrate: Amazonia Aqua Soil and Amazonia Powder
Filter: Eheim 2213 with Cal Aqua Labs Nano Glass
Heater: Hydor 200w Inline Heater
Thermometer: 5mm Glass piece from ADA
CO2: Orlandos GLA Paintball Unit with Cal Aqua Glass pieces, Inline Diffuser
Ferts: PFertz Hightech set + Root Tabs

Sure there is some other stuff also but I will list it as I remeber.

Craig

·
Registered
733 Posts
Nice setup Craig.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the tank won't get setup till next Wednesday now as the wife just ordered me a Mini M for christmas and that is when it susposed to arrive. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the Toys have started to arrive! My tank will be here next Wednesday along with a couple of other things until then though enjoy:

Orlandos GLA Custom Paintball Regulator:

Cal Aqua Labs In-line Diffuser:

Cal Aqua Labs Oracle drop checker:

Cal Aqua Labs Bubble Counter:

Cal Aqua Labs Nano Glass:

Eheim 2213:

Hydor Inline 200 watt heater:

Everything:

More goodies will arrive tomorrow!

Craig

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some more teaser pics:

ADA Amazonia

ADA Amazonia Powder

ADA Thermometer

ADA 12/16 clear Tubing

Pfertz High Tech+ Root Tabs Line

Rocks for aquascaping with:

I still have Manzanita from Jake and Carole coming probably next week, ADA Mini M and goodies from ADA on Wednesday, UG coming tomorrow (will be floating in one of my fish tanks till Wednesday hope it holds well.), Erio and Lidernia from MrKookm. That will be just about it will probably add a couple of Nana Petite and some Mini Pellia once I find some and possible a few Hydrocotyle Verticilata once some is available.

Craig

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
came from a member on the boards. He has them at plantedtank.net and possibly here. goes by chef.... I bought alot of them to have great selection of what to use and out off all of them I found 4 that I like the most.

Craig

·
Registered
251 Posts
HHAHAHA nice! you have your post here too. It make it easier for my to follow up on your post craig! This is going to be one of the most exciting thread for me to follow. I cant wait to see what your tank is going to turn out like.

KEEP IT UP MAN!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some fresh pics with the Eleocharis 'Belem' added to the back right corner. I think I will add some more around the big rock maybe.

Craig

·
Registered
84 Posts
this is impossible! If I remember from chemistry, there's only a certain amount of molecules that can be dissolved into a particular substance, and this, my friend, is way too much money dissolved into 5.5 gallons of water lol

j/k if I had the scratch I'd do it too, looking good so far.

one thing... you spent the money to get all that other stuff, but you keep it on a wire rack with bare wood... you have that on order too, or are there any plans to get a stand for this built?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is impossible! If I remember from chemistry, there's only a certain amount of molecules that can be dissolved into a particular substance, and this, my friend, is way too much money dissolved into 5.5 gallons of water lol

j/k if I had the scratch I'd do it too, looking good so far.

one thing... you spent the money to get all that other stuff, but you keep it on a wire rack with bare wood... you have that on order too, or are there any plans to get a stand for this built?
Actually its only 5.15g. Another $1200 and I can have the ADA Stand, Jet Filter and Mini Solar Light:twisted::hat:

I actually sold off my fish room to afford this setup. over 600g of water now I'm down to 5.15g.:hail:

Craig

·
Registered
251 Posts
Actually its only 5.15g. Another $1200 and I can have the ADA Stand, Jet Filter and Mini Solar Light:twisted::hat:

I actually sold off my fish room to afford this setup. over 600g of water now I'm down to 5.15g.:hail:

Craig
Are you really going to spend about 1.5k on getting the jet filter, stand and the light? That will be awesome. That's like totally ball'n.

WOW. I heard from someone that you had a fish room with some awesome tanks. But I didn't know you sold it to get the 5.5 gal tank. Craig you are very passionate about this I can see. It's a very nice tank and I love the progress so far. I was wondering if you had anymore pictures of your fish room before you sold them. I heard great things about it and I want to see it!

PS: From a 600g of water to a 5 gal tank. WOW. MAJOR DOWNGRADE. HAHAHA.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a question about the Pfertz. Are these worth the money? I was thinking about getting the High tech solution. At 53.00 it doesn't seem that bad, was wondering what your experience with them was?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a question about the Pfertz. Are these worth the money? I was thinking about getting the High tech solution. At 53.00 it doesn't seem that bad, was wondering what your experience with them was?
I like them. easy to dose. customer service is outstanding. one of my pumps got damaged in shipping and they sent me an extra set of them. I also bought the high tech set.

Craig

1 - 20 of 42 Posts