Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost near the end of July, I went to Seri Aman - Betong area to explore. In this trip, I was supposed to look for plants growing on the ground , not in the water as the water level of most of the rivers were high due to the changing climate: more rainfall in the dry season than ever. However, I was almost got "heart attack" when I found the most beautiful Cryptocoryne auriculata that I ever seen! It is a variety of Crypt auriculata growing on the tree roots at the sandbank.

The hidden paradise in Borneo:

The most excited discovery: A mottled leaf Crypt auriculata!!!

It is growing on the tree roots near the water edge:

First location: an oil palm plantation at Seri Aman of Sarawak. Found a big colony of Crypt longicauda, Barclaya motleyi & others semi aquatic plants.

......TO BE CONTINUED.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Thanks for sharing your pictures. I always look forward to your photographs. :D

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Hi Mike,

Congrats on your find. Where you able to bring a specimen home?

My understanding is the C. auriculata is not cultivated much because of it's difficulty. It's always amazing to me how mother nature seems to have no problems growing it though.

Did you take any water samples? Soil samples, perhaps?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the great pictures.

When you say that they are growing on the tree roots does that mean that they are rooted in and around the roots or are they actually growing on the roots like how a java fern might grow?

aaron

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mike,

Congrats on your find. Where you able to bring a specimen home?

My understanding is the C. auriculata is not cultivated much because of it's difficulty. It's always amazing to me how mother nature seems to have no problems growing it though.

Did you take any water samples? Soil samples, perhaps?
No water sample. The substrate is river sand mixed with clay.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The spathe (flower) of Crypt longicauda in the blackwater stream of oil palm plantation:

Close-up:

Next location is a clearwater stream in a swamp. Also found Crypt longicauda. It is one of the most common species in Borneo:

Around 3pm, it sarted to rain until the next day morning. So, no exploration except go to check in into a hotel at Seri Aman & rest.

Next day, I woke up early & went to the jungle in between Seri Aman & Betong:

There are a lot of beautiful rivers here:

Wood shrimp:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unidentified species of Goby:

Hill stream catfish; Glypothorax major :

When I was walking along the river, I saw some plants growing under the Pandan plants....when I look closer, I almost wanted to "faint"!!! Oh my goodness.....first time in my life saw such a beautiful species of Crypt auriculata. The leaf pattern looks a bit like my favourite slipper orchid:

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
As always, very nice pictures Junglemike. I especially like seeing the plants in their natural habitat, it gives me an idea of the lighting and substrate I need to use. It looks like these were growing in a very sandy area.....is that right?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts