Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I might have experienced and have heard that while the dry start for Dwarf baby tears (most plants) is good to allow roots to dig in and allows to keep better water quality and algae out in beginning (among other things), some/most the leaves will die once emersed as they are not used to being submerged and new leaves will grow in. Have you had this experience with other dry stat methods or first attempt. I havent done so myself so curious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m in the middle of that now. I am trying a “wet and hot and fast” method that might not be able to be reproduced in other climates or seasons. I would suggest keeping the humidity high in your tank with the dry start method but there is a risk of fungus outbreaks or disease. I’m trying to “skip” the leaf melting stage as much as possible. It‘s part of the experiment. I plan on updating weekly. What I am not doing different is the set up. I want to make sure my soil and gravel match suggestions by Diana Walstad. Including her book, I am using this article as a template for my shrimp tanks. I’m using this to gain experience in building other tanks and ponds.

“pico reefs” and salt water fascinate me. I may pick your brain sometime.
I have been seeing walsted method alot lately. Ill have to see what it is as well. I have a ton of opinions on pico reefs and lots of success and failures lol.

Hopefully it works so you dont lose to many. Really want to see this submurged with shrimp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, definetly.curious now lol. Im in florida as well. For planted tanks I can see not vacuuming the bottom. Makes sense if the plants are intaking nutrients from soil. My current tank is using fluval stratum. I believe you all are reffering to potting type soil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts