Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Two shrimp tanks and a patio pond.
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Week 2 update! I am definitely seeing some new “bioactivity“ this week. I am getting a light bloom of what I think is both algae and cyanobacteria on the white gravel. I’m not shocked by this as this is probably from the gravel. They store bags of gravel and sand for sale outside exposed to rain and sun here in Florida. Many times the gravel and sand is green with algae or cyanobacteria. I was thinking it was only a matter of time before I saw a little bit of that growing on the bright white rocks. I’m not worried about it moving forward when I finally fill my tanks.

Tank #1 Update: Still seeing significant growth from the plants 👍
Plant Ingredient Dishware Cuisine Dish

Tank #2 update: The largest single patch of dwarf baby tears is spreading and growing nicely.
Plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant Art

The Anubias melted a little so I removed a few dead leaves. Tiny new leaves sprouted in their place so all is well. I’m planning on adding one more immersed-grown plant like a crypt or something before I flood these jars in the next two weeks. I want to make sure I have enough plant-based biomass before adding the water.

It appears I have some bacterial/slime/algae layers growing in the soil. I’m considering this a good thing. Also some “local” springtails have moved into the jars. Despite this new bioactive growth the jars still smell pleasant and the plants are continuing to grow.

Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover Ingredient

Plant Grass Aquatic plant Water Non-vascular land plant

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Night observations: My jars are filthy?!? Why? An investigation:
I like to peek at my various terrariums and tanks at different times of day to see what’s happening. Sometimes the activity is different depending on the time of day. Other times it’s merely my perspective with different light at night or day. Well, I noticed the walls of my shrimp tanks are filthy! But the cause wasn’t obvious until at nighttime. The walls appear to have particles of the quartz substrate all over the place like a little storm happened inside. Since I placed the jars outside they have been invaded by the only visitors that squeeze past the jar lids. The answer? Local springtails!

Water Liquid Fluid Astronomical object Drink

I can see springtails at the bottom scattering when I blow a little air into the jars. They are crawling around the sides of the jars taking bits of sand and substrate with them. This shouldn’t be an issue when I flood the tanks. I’m expecting the debris to settle at the bottom when I add water. It’s just interesting to see what’s happening at this stage with the bioactivity of my tanks. When I shine my flashlight I can see the trails in the condensation on the walls of my jars where the tiny animals have been walking around. It’s not gravity!

Water World Blue Azure Liquid

Major update soon!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update: Hurricanes can change your plans!
So we’re getting a hurricane here in Florida. I’m on the East coast so we’re not getting directly hit but strong gusts of wind and no sunlight due to clouds made me decide to bring my jars inside. This was supposed to be their eventual set up after growing outside in the dry start method. Instead, I’m going to do the last two weeks of growing inside with these LED lights. I had this empty space below my corn snake’s “vivarium“ and I decided to make it the home of my shrimp tanks.

Pet supply Water Plant Gas Glass

I am using “Lumiman“ 900 lumen smart LED flood lights. They are installed in a typical gooseneck style clip light. Each clip light cost about $13 and the bulbs are about $14 each. The lights are fully programmable and are currently set at a constant 14 hour photoperiod, at maximum brightness at 6500k. Later when I fill the shrimp tanks with water I can schedule a siesta. With the bulb’s app, I can change the brightness, color and temperature of the lights. What‘s unfortunate about the app is I can only schedule one light setting at a time but I can create as many schedules as I want. The LEDs are also cool to the touch; they don’t put off any heat. Hopefully the intense light and photoperiod will encourage rapid plant growth!

Plant Interior design Display case Lamp Gas

Water Plant Houseplant Drinkware Liquid

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In my nightly searches I found a bladder snail in each of my jars! I was cultivating bladder snails in my patio pond to put in these very jars. There must have been eggs tagging along on the plants. They were small, slow and not as “active” as the bladder snails in my patio pond. I left them in the jars. I hope they are comfy for another two weeks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have temporarily relocated the anubias nana to my patio pond. It will be back when I add the cholla wood to my shrimp tanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I’m a little peeved at the Lumiman lights. I programmed the lights to be set as a “group” and on a schedule. One light malfunctioned and didn’t turn on or obey the schedule. This is likely a software issue since the other light was functional. I need the lights to be consistent to be successful. I just ordered “Sylvania Smart +” color LED lights and I’m going to see if they have a better app that gives me more control and is more reliable. The Sylvania lights are cheaper too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just stopping by for 2 things -

A) I love the shrimp jar idea. I have a few glass containers that I recently picked up from Ikea for a similar project - so I'll be watching this thread moving forward for sure!

B) I just wanted to wish you (and your aquatic friends) luck with Ian. This hurricane is looking pretty intense - I hope you and your loved ones stay safe, and that we all get to see some fun updates with your shrimp projects over the coming weeks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just stopping by for 2 things -

A) I love the shrimp jar idea. I have a few glass containers that I recently picked up from Ikea for a similar project - so I'll be watching this thread moving forward for sure!

B) I just wanted to wish you (and your aquatic friends) luck with Ian. This hurricane is looking pretty intense - I hope you and your loved ones stay safe, and that we all get to see some fun updates with your shrimp projects over the coming weeks!
Thank you so much for the well-wishes. Thankfully I’m on the South-East coast and away from the worst of it. Right now it’s just cloudy and hot here and it isn’t even raining. I still have power where I am and we’re going to be okay.

About the shrimp jars I am moving SLOWLY, so stay tuned! I won’t be adding water and more plants for at least 2 weeks and I might wait another month before I add shrimp. I’m hoping slow will eliminate some problems while I learn. In the mean-time I am raising micro fauna and snails that I will add at the same time. I hope to post some videos (GIFs) of the critters as they settle in.

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
Your tank setups look really nice, and I detect an investigative inquiring mind. I suspect that you will add water to one jar at a time. See how it does and proceed from there cautiously.
Hope you and your jars will ride out the storm. Here in NC, it's the hurricane aftermaths that bring rain to break summer droughts, so they are welcome.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Your tank setups look really nice, and I detect an investigative inquiring mind. I suspect that you will add water to one jar at a time. See how it does and proceed from there cautiously.
Hope you and your jars will ride out the storm. Here in NC, it's the hurricane aftermaths that bring rain to break summer droughts, so they are welcome.
My tanks are starting as identical but are already diverging. I’m using this experience to get to know the nature of different aquatic plants. I’m already planning on NOT using dwarf baby tears on a future aquarium. I think it’ll work great in a shrimp tank but not one with a different set up with fish in mind. At the time I flood my tanks, I‘m going to add some true-aquatic plants and plants that were grown already immersed. I want to see how dwarf sword plants or crypts will do. This is an opportunity to experiment! The idea of flooding them at different times gives me an excuse to go to the fish store a few more times to shop around and learn more 😂

Take care with the weather! In Palm Beach County it was hot and windy! It didn’t even rain so much.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
In my nightly searches I found a bladder snail in each of my jars! I was cultivating bladder snails in my patio pond to put in these very jars. There must have been eggs tagging along on the plants. They were small, slow and not as “active” as the bladder snails in my patio pond. I left them in the jars. I hope they are comfy for another two weeks!
I’ve decided to move the snails from my jars to my patio pond. I think they need more water. They just look slow and miserable. The snails in my pond are fast, busy and growing quickly. So far I found 3 snails in my jars. I will catch them and return them to the jars when I flood them. I wonder if the snails were having any beneficial impact on the jars up to this point. I will report any changes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’ve decided to move the snails from my jars to my patio pond. I think they need more water. They just look slow and miserable. The snails in my pond are fast, busy and growing quickly. So far I found 3 snails in my jars. I will catch them and return them to the jars when I flood them. I wonder if the snails were having any beneficial impact on the jars up to this point. I will report any changes.
I've had a few bladder snails try to escape over the years - they usually don't make it very far..
It's likely that the humidity level in the jars is providing just enough moisture to keep them from drying out. Your plants also look very healthy, so I can't imagine there was much for them to snack on anyway haha.
I think they'll enjoy their temporary housing accommodations :D

Can I ask the "big question"...?
Have we decided what kind of shrimp will call these jars home?

(apologies - my love for shrimp is somewhat irrational lol)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I've had a few bladder snails try to escape over the years - they usually don't make it very far..
It's likely that the humidity level in the jars is providing just enough moisture to keep them from drying out. Your plants also look very healthy, so I can't imagine there was much for them to snack on anyway haha.
I think they'll enjoy their temporary housing accommodations :D

Can I ask the "big question"...?
Have we decided what kind of shrimp will call these jars home?

(apologies - my love for shrimp is somewhat irrational lol)
The snails in the jar was unintentional (stowaways!). I let them join my other snails in my patio pond where they are having a good old time. They are growing fast and I see eggs all over my frogbit. I plan on getting the reddest cherry shrimp I can get my hands on. I want to be able to see them clearly against the plants.

·
Registered
44 Posts
...I plan on getting the reddest cherry shrimp I can get my hands on. I want to be able to see them clearly against the plants.
That contrast is going to look amazing!

If you haven't already sourced your shrimp, I'd like to recommend the "Bloody Mary" color morph.
I've kept most of the popular colors you'll find in the hobby, and they have the most vibrant red coloration I've seen.

They are somewhat unlike other Neocaridina, as the color is actually coming from their tissue, instead of their shells (which are transparent).
I really love this because the babies don't need to "grow into their color", as I've experience with the other color varieties - you'll end up with ultra red shrimp of all sizes. 🦐🦐

Also... I've ordered from many of the popular online shrimp breeders at this point - so I'm happy to recommend some sources that I've been very happy with, should you not have a good local source.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That contrast is going to look amazing!

If you haven't already sourced your shrimp, I'd like to recommend the "Bloody Mary" color morph.
I've kept most of the popular colors you'll find in the hobby, and they have the most vibrant red coloration I've seen.

They are somewhat unlike other Neocaridina, as the color is actually coming from their tissue, instead of their shells (which are transparent).
I really love this because the babies don't need to "grow into their color", as I've experience with the other color varieties - you'll end up with ultra red shrimp of all sizes. 🦐🦐

Also... I've ordered from many of the popular online shrimp breeders at this point - so I'm happy to recommend some sources that I've been very happy with, should you not have a good local source.
That’s the variety I was looking at but I didn’t know those details. Even better! I’m going to ask my amazing local freshwater fish store first. They can pretty much order anything I want at the same price or cheaper than online but with no shipping costs 😎

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I’ve decided to make an ostrocod culture for my future tanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I take back every mean thing I said about the Lumiman smart lights. The Sylvania Smart+ lights and app was so terrible I almost lost all hope. I’m returning that trash!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It doesn't look like these Smart+ lights have a timer.
No! The Lumiman lights have a timer and schedule maker on the app. It was fairly easy to connect to too!
The Sylvania lights were a PAIN to connect and they have no way to set a timer or schedule! What’s the point?!
I’m 100% team Lumiman until they don’t meet my needs anymore or I find something better. I’m disappointed in the Sylvania lights as I use the LEDs all over my home- but their “smart lights” are stinkers! 💩

21 - 40 of 42 Posts