Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
you're not supposed to tap on glass, i believe it's pretty stressful to them... imagine a giant coming over to your house and tapping your house to see if you are okay. hehe

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had someone ask me if I kept saltwater fish. I told her no, that I liked my planted tanks enough that I didn't feel itchy to start a reef system yet. She rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, so you don't know enough about fish to keep the colorful ones?"

AARGH!
Strike one: Saltwater is NOT more difficult.
Strike two: What the heck is up with the word "colorful" and fish all the time? It's such a tired subject.

Of course, it's always fun trying to answer the usual "So what kind of fish do you have?" I just tell them I have five tanks with a few different kinds in each. That usually satisfies them. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok i'm still new at this, but pretty happy on what i have accomplished so far.

Therefore not many people have seen my tanks (yes i started with one now i have 3) anyway one that really got to me was:

"This doesn't look like a fish tank anymore, is more like an a aquatic pot"

and

"Is all that work and light worth it?"

·
Registered
302 Posts
LOl at the colorful part. I know that one all to well.

*Looking in at the heterandria formosa*

"Bahh...what kind of dull fish are those?"

Funny how all the fish flakes say "Intensifies fish's colors"

So, apparently these organisms are little decorations who's only merit is when they have flashy colors.

·
Registered
353 Posts
These replies are great! A few years back, a man went crazy and shot and killed a bunch of people at his work place. It so happens he was a goldfish fanatic, possibly over a hundred tanks at his house. The news got a hold of this info and used it as the lead into the story. Now, when people see my setup, they joke that one day I might snap like the goldfish dude...

Also, whenever I go to refill my CO2 bottles at Gas/ welding supply store, the guys working there always ask what I use CO2 for. I tell them it's for my plants and they giggle and say "what, hydroponic pot in your closet?"

·
Registered
47 Posts
LOL Aaron...
I know the feeling regarding the CO2. I work at an alcohol and drug rehab as the local computer guy. We have a grant right now that has me working with a number of near-by county sherrifs and local PD's. Most of these guys know that I'm setting up my tanks, and when I've talked about the lighting and stuff, they've all asked if I was growing pot hydroponically and what my home address was. It was all in good humor, but it is pretty funny. Even I have to admit, half of the sites I'm visiting to get information on bulb spectral intensity are "cannibis" related.

"You can't grow plants with mbuna. They'll eat them all to death. You're wasting your money." (Mind you, when this was said, i had Val that was several FEET long in the tank.)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know this is sort of OT, but as long as we're talking what people say when they see your tank...

Actually, I've had nothing but positive comments. I have a low light 20xh that folks seem fascinated with. No one I know in the immediate area even is aware that there is such a thing as a "planted" tank. Mine isn't very impressive either, it's just that when you've never seen one, they can demand your interest.

The closest thing to an annoying reaction is the total incredulity when told the plants are real. But the amazement is such genuine admiration, who could get annoyed?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I could go on forever about this stuff (used to work at an LFS), but here are a few of my favorites.

Friend, pointing at a healthy red wendtii: "That one's dead. You should take it out."

Girlfriend: "You want plants for Valentine's Day?"

Malawi cichlid breeder: "What's with all the little gray fish?"

Different Malawi cichlid breeder: "Why do you keep your feeders in such nice tanks?"

Old-timer at a club meeting: "You can't put dirt in your aquarium! You'll kill all your fish!"

Marine aquarist: "You breed freshwater fish? Why? They aren't worth anything."

And, my personal favorite:
Person A: "What kind of fish are those?"
Me: "Well, they don't really have a common name."
Person A: "What are they anyway?"
Me: "The orangey ones are Brachyrhaphis roswithae, and the big ones are Thorichthys aff. helleri 'Rio Coatzacoalcos' a.k.a. 'Mixteco Blue'."
Person A: "Oh."

·
Registered
188 Posts
Carrying my DIY CO2 setup in home depot and asking a if they sold salt peter (potassium nitrate).

Response: Bomb!? Are you a terrorist?

From planted tank enthusiast to terrorist...pft! :?

(NO3 is also used as an explosive, and I can see how my DIY CO2 setup can look like a bomb :roll: ).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey, i remember this piece of conversation very well.

me: "honey, I think getting a 6 feet tank is a great idea, It will liven up the hall."

wife: "yeah, very nice idea. By the way, when you get that tank, you can grab your pillow and go SLEEP IN THAT TANK!!"

I never did get around buying that tank.

My aquarium interest started after our marriage, it all started when she gave me a betta bowl with a single betta as an anniversary present. NOw she goes "The greatest regret of my life is buying you that stupid fish".

Cheers
Vincent

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a guy trying to explain what kinds of fish he had in his tank. He named off all these small community fish, and then finished up with, "oh, yeah, and a little oscar". I looked at him like he was from Mars and he was like, "Yeah, one of those shiny blue oscars with the red stripes". So I asked him if he meant he had a dwarf gourami. He answered me by saying, "Oh, yeah... it's a gourmet, that's right. Well, it looks like an oscar, so that's what I call him."

Well, I thought he looked like he was from another planet, so maybe I should've called him a Martian. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
C_perugiae said:
I had a guy trying to explain what kinds of fish he had in his tank. He named off all these small community fish, and then finished up with, "oh, yeah, and a little oscar". I looked at him like he was from Mars and he was like, "Yeah, one of those shiny blue oscars with the red stripes". So I asked him if he meant he had a dwarf gourami. He answered me by saying, "Oh, yeah... it's a gourmet, that's right. Well, it looks like an oscar, so that's what I call him."

Well, I thought he looked like he was from another planet, so maybe I should've called him a Martian. :)
oh man, you made me laugh out loud...what a great story!!! thanks for sharing!!! :lol:

21 - 40 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.