Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
bms said:
Some I hear very often from my wife:

"What are you looking at? They are not going anywhere."
As a plant ecologist (my PhD I'm currently working on) I get that all the time from the bird, herp and mammal people in my deparment!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My GF:
"Why don't you just stick your head in there while you're at it!!"

When we saw a huge 150 g tank with a beautiful stand and hood..."Hey honey, why don't you get that, I can bury you in it when we get old and gray".

"All you had to do was tell me you ordered a new filter...light...plants...fish..."

"All your fish do is shimmy and poke" referring to my rainbows and cories

In a sarcastic tone..."if you touched my boobs as much as you touched your tank, you would be in complete heaven!!" :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lovely thread, much what I'm looking for to share :lol: :lol:

One day my in-law came and saw me doing the regular maintenance on the tank. He said: "Why don't you just pay someone to do that. I can give you his number. He has done wonderful job to our office aquarium" :twisted:

hubbahubbahehe said:
Friends say, "When do they grow big enough to eat?"

Did you know that in Indonesia, they eat clown loaches?
LOL! hubbahubbahehe tell your friend, Indonesian don't eat clown loaches, but we do eat fried catfish (Clarias batrachus), with rice & chilli sauce, yum.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Things you tell you spouse to explain new purchases!

Art_Giacosa said:
Come on, we've all done it- try to sneak a few new plants or a piece of equipment by our spouses. Fess up, how did you do it?

That plant isn't new- it's just a cutting from the other tank!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Said of my 29 gallon tank, which consists of catfish, loaches, and 2 female bettas I bought on a whim:

"So why don't you get some fish that actually do something?"

"That's a lot of plants in there....do the fish really like that much plant in their tank?"

"Why do you have bettas in with catfish? Bettas kill all other fish, you know."

"Oooo, look, she has a white suckercat that eats fish poop!" ---said of my albino BN pleco

"You change the water how much? I only do mine once a month, and the fish are fine!"

"Why don't you get a catfish that doesn't act dead all the time? Ocean Floor has some baby red tail cats!" ---said of my banjo catfish

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: Things you tell you spouse to explain new purchases!

Art_Giacosa said:
Come on, we've all done it- try to sneak a few new plants or a piece of equipment by our spouses. Fess up, how did you do it?
It would have to be one gaudy plant to stick out enough that my wife would notice and ask if it was new. However, her favorite thing is to have someone who has a betta vase come over and look in the family room. How often does a family room have a 10, a 14, three 30's, a 56, and a 75, all fully planted? That gets a lot of interesting :shock: looks.

People still ask if they are saltwater tanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Today I was showing the most amazing AMANO's pictures to my buddies in the office, one of them tell me " what is the amazing thing with those tanks, in the nature it happens all the time" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
9 Posts
When someone finds out I have a 75 gallon tank and they just can't figure out why I don't have oscars...

If they are at work, I show them a picture of my tank that is in the top of my toolbox. "Wow, are those plants real?" And then they ask how I did it and their eyes glaze over within 5 seconds.

I also get a kick out of the reactions I get from the welding supply store, Home Depot, industrial supply places (a good source for NO tubes), etc. when I tell them what I want it for...

·
Registered
11 Posts
few of my friends really want something, but they cannot afford it or whatever reason. when they see i have it, they say something that really let me feel "SOUR"
I have a friend who got me into fish. Now that my tanks look nice, and i keep them clean, and he has crap floating all over his tank cause hes tooo lazy to clean the filter or do a water change, he now calls me and my other friend "fish nerds" every chance he gets.
Poor ignorant fool.
oh yeah, here are some others:
'only 8 fish in a 55g tank, they're not that big'(the fish being mbuna)

'Why don't you just lie about your tank size at the store so they'll say you can get more fish'

and now for my all time favorite, said by my 15 year old sister:
'You're feeding your fish, your such a loser!!!'

·
Registered
62 Posts
got a new one last night....

"can you make my tank look exactly like that tomarrow"

when my tank has been running for 1 year with expensive lighting, CO2, fertilizing weekly and water changes every week. when told of all the maintainence work...

"can not make it easier???" :?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The totally most annoying thing is my mother in law asking "Do you still have those ugly sharks I bought you?" when they are sitting in a tank not 2 feet from where she is standing.

The door bell rings and it's the mailman with a box of something or other..."Honey, look what so-and-so sent" or "Don't worry I traded for them". *LMAO*

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've heard my fair share of annoying comments from non-hobbyists but I was quite disturbed by an incident that happened recently.

My daughter's classmate was in my house and her parents (a couple in their mid-thirties) came by to pick her up. I invited them in for coffee. They were sitting on the sofa next to my 4 feet tank and we chatted for about half an hour. They were in the business of selling jewellery. They were obviously non-hobbyists but the thing that disturbed me after they left was that not once during the half-hour when they were sitting next to the tank did they commented on it. Not once. Not a single word. It was as though the tank was never there.

I suppose the most annoying comment of all is when there's no comment.

Loh K L

·
Registered
113 Posts
comments

"Do your fish have enough room to swim in there"
"wont they try to jump out if they run out of room?"
"we would see the fish better if you got rid of the plants"

Man if they only knew the effort it takes to raise plants vs fish

·
Registered
459 Posts
"When does the catfish come out?" as they're staring at a tankful of rare African cichlids that are fighting turf wars in front of their eyes.

"That's saltwater isn't it?" Response: "Oh yes, these are all saltwater plants."

"Those plants are leaking."

41 - 60 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.