Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Things non-hobbyist say that annoy you!

21K views 156 replies 103 participants last post by  bathysphere 
#1 ·
I saw this topic in a mag and think its funny.

So what things have people told you about your aquarium that annoy you? I'll start...

"Are those plants real?"

"You paid HOW much for that plant?!"

"Is it SUPPOSED to look like that?"

"You need to put some fish in there"

"Wow, nice tank. So, can you eat any of those shrimp?"

#4 ·
1)" Your tank is boring because it's nothing but green. "

2)" Your fish are boring and ugly" Despite the fact thay they are rare tetras, lampeyes and cyprinids.

3)"Why do you have small fish in there. I would put in bigger fish that can eat those fish" Despite the fact that the largest tank is only 30 gallons.

4)"You should put a blacklight on there to make your Neons glow" Despite the fact that I have Cardinals.

5) "Why dont you have any sunken ships, castles or treasure chests in there?"

The list is endless.

Keith

#7 ·
All my friends are 17 because i am, but they always laugh when i add Laxatives like phosphasoda "Oh man your fish are going to crap to death!"

Or

"How come you order plants from the internet and asia why cant you just find them in your lake"

Or

"Wanna blow that thing up one day? I got a bunch of fireworks from tennesee"

#10 ·
Things you tell you spouse to explain new purchases!

Come on, we've all done it- try to sneak a few new plants or a piece of equipment by our spouses. Fess up, how did you do it?

If appropriate, switch spouse for parent.

I'll come clean first!

1. I friend of mine from the Internet sent me those plants for FREE! (Truth: Large order from Aquarium Gardens). :oops:

2. All the plants are going to die if I don't get the new lighting! I can't just let them die!

3. This is the last tank, I promise! O:)

#12 ·
I sneak jobes sticks into the tank all the time. My dad thinks i am dosing too mcuh fertilizer all the time when i get greenwater. But its always because he takes away my stuff when he thinks i over do it and a week later greenwater. It happens at least twice a year.

I just set up a 20gal for my mom "Listen mom if i have to do this yeast stuff every week it could kill my fish!! i have to have the 200 co2 system"

#14 ·
Actually, with people wih zero aquaria experience, you can't blame them. The folks who really irk are those who know little but think they know much: like those who go agasp when you mention or show them planted tanks containing discus or arowanas (thus bursting their bare tank purism). Even the mere suggestion that you put some hornwort or java fern in such tanks to help improve the water quality seems abhorent.

Next on the list are those who think aloud that they can 'easily get a tank just like this one' simply because they have the dough.

#16 ·
budak said:
Actually, with people wih zero aquaria experience, you can't blame them. The folks who really irk are those who know little but think they know much: like those who go agasp when you mention or show them planted tanks containing discus or arowanas (thus bursting their bare tank purism). Even the mere suggestion that you put some hornwort or java fern in such tanks to help improve the water quality seems abhorent.

Next on the list are those who think aloud that they can 'easily get a tank just like this one' simply because they have the dough.
LOl, yeah...like"How much did the aquarium cost?"

*They are busy counting juvenile swordtails....I bet they now think they can stick 22 or so fish permanently into this tank...*

How often do you have to clean this tank(Oh man, not that myth again!)

#19 ·
LOL I had fun reading this. Since you guys covered all the things that annoyme, I'd like to add that I hate when they plant with my mag float.... yesterday, after bible study i found out that a few kids were playing with my mag float and the magnet was so strong that it pulled some plants in between the two and crushed them!!!

#23 ·
I had someone ask me if I kept saltwater fish. I told her no, that I liked my planted tanks enough that I didn't feel itchy to start a reef system yet. She rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, so you don't know enough about fish to keep the colorful ones?"

AARGH!
Strike one: Saltwater is NOT more difficult.
Strike two: What the heck is up with the word "colorful" and fish all the time? It's such a tired subject.

Of course, it's always fun trying to answer the usual "So what kind of fish do you have?" I just tell them I have five tanks with a few different kinds in each. That usually satisfies them. ;)

#24 ·
Ok i'm still new at this, but pretty happy on what i have accomplished so far.

Therefore not many people have seen my tanks (yes i started with one now i have 3) anyway one that really got to me was:

"This doesn't look like a fish tank anymore, is more like an a aquatic pot"

and

"Is all that work and light worth it?"

#26 ·
LOl at the colorful part. I know that one all to well.

*Looking in at the heterandria formosa*

"Bahh...what kind of dull fish are those?"

Funny how all the fish flakes say "Intensifies fish's colors"

So, apparently these organisms are little decorations who's only merit is when they have flashy colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.