Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about re doing my entire substrate as I am sick of the Onyx sand and eco complete leaking kh/gh into the water column. In all of your opinion what is the dream or fantasy substrate where money is not a concern.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
chiahead said:
I am thinking about re doing my entire substrate as I am sick of the Onyx sand and eco complete leaking kh/gh into the water column. In all of your opinion what is the dream or fantasy substrate where money is not a concern.
I'd try ADA AquaSoil Amazonia.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ada has a few types of substrates power sand and aqua soil, do u use both?
Whats the deal with it saying it lowers hardness and ph, does it do that and how? As long as it doesnt buffer the kh/gh I will be happy. Plus I kinda want to stay away from straight flourite. It works ok but I want something better. Is the aqua soil like real soil?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
turtlehead said:
most substrates buffer so it allows the plants to have easier acess to the nutrients and its beneficial. and it wont buffer that much so it doesnt really matter.
That's not true. People who used AquaSoil reported that their pHs' fell to 4.5, but this also depends on their original tap water's pH/kH. Chia, AquaSoil simply replaces the Mg and Ca in the water, which leads to lower the pH/gH.

On the other hand, Turface Grey *was* the ideal substrate. Good CEC, porous, and it had more nutrients than Flourite/Onyx.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Consider perhaps that Takashi Amano- who could of course develop and/or use anything in the world for substrate- has developed and uses the combination of Power Sand and Aqua Soil. Is there any higher standard? You can get it and it's not even comparitively that expensive. Amano grows any and every plant group in this substrate so I wouldn't worry so much about the buffering and hardness issues. The idea is to create conditions that basically all aquatic plants - with a very few rare exceptions- will thrive in. It levels the field for both plant and hobbyist. No other substrate does what ADA does just right out of the package. If I am going to take the advice of others at all, I am certainly going to listen and heed the advice of Mr. Amano also.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so it looks like the ada line is the substrate of choice. Currently I use RO/tap mix. Since the ada substrate absorbs the ca/mg would I stick to tap or use my ro/tap(5 to 3) that I have been using? My straight tap is pretty hard kh-11 Gh-18.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright I just ordered to ADA substrate. I bought 5 x 2l Power sand medium and 4 x 9l Aquasoil ammazonia reg and 1 x 9l Aquasoil ammazonnia powder. I plant to do my 80 gallon and my 29 gallon. Thanks for all the help and advice all.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
IUnknown said:
How about using eco complete over the power sand. Get the benefits of the ADA substrate line, without the change in KH.
Eco-Complete and PowerSand are two different things in my mind. I would compare Eco-Complete with AquaSoil instead.

PowerSand is meant to provide a biological environment in the lower levels of the substrate that will create a place where nutrients are recylced and stored for access by the plant roots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts