Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to planted tanks and have realized that I need stronger lighting. I have a 75gal with 7 blue rams, 2 bolivian rams and 8 jewel cichlids. I know the jewels can be aggressive but everyone seems to get along fine. I also have 3 common crayfish, an electric blue cobalt crayfish, and an australian zebra crayfish. I have started getting a few plants each week, like money wort some acorus which i have realized is not true aquatic. So to my question I was looking at this light since it isnt to expensive and is rated at 260 watts and here are the bulbs it comes with. This unit comes with 4 - 65 Watt bulbs - (2) 12,000K daylights and (2) 03 true actinics. Below is the link to the auction. Let me know what you think. And love the site so much info it overwhelming.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-LIGHT-...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you recommend adding the fans and also would those bulbs be ok or should I ask for different ones. If so what do you suggest. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd also recommend getting a T5 fixture over a power compact fixture. T5 bulbs (w/ individual reflectors) are more efficient than PC bulbs, so you can get away with less wattage and a cooler running setup, but still get the same amount of usable light.

Personally, I use a Sunlight Supply Tek Light fixture. They're a bit expensive, but I've been very happy with it so far.

A couple other things:

- Actinic lighting is geared for saltwater tanks, not planted tanks; don't use actinic lighting
- If you do upgrade the lighting to a couple hundred watts or more, you will need CO2 injection and also to up your other nutrient dosing to keep up with the demands of the plants from the stronger lighting

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i am going to go with the one bigstick suggested seems nice and doesnt to much. Going to order once they get back from vacation since tried today and that the message said. I figured for now would it be ok to increase the dose of excel that i use since it is not heavily planted. Will this add enough co2

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just receivied a similar light I bought on ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/4-Your-Aquarium-and-Critters, the seller is on vacation now.). It sure looks good to me so far.

The price was $175.00 including the legs ($10.00). It was delivered from Sacramento so they reduce the shipping cost but I don't have to pay CA sales tax becuase the seller is in TX. [I also get 25% cashback from live.com.] It turned out to be a very good deal. The seller is very helpful but he does not have 6700k bulbs so I got all 4X 10,000K bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts