Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive always used cotton thread. is there anything else i can use? i know you can use fishing line but i read someone sayin they use fly tieing thread bc it doesn't disentegrate after a while, doesn't leech anything in the water and is barely visible. id like to get some if this is all true.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am a avid fly fisherman/tier and the only difference between fly tying thread and sewing thread is that Unithread is one solid strand where sewing thread is multiple strands and some tying thread is waxed..

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
If it's a plant that will anchor attach well after a month or so, you can use a rubber band. By the time th eband has started to break the plant will be anchored on it's own. I use this method on Java Ferns and Anubias.

For mosses I use fishing line.

·
Registered
19 Posts
fshfanatic- didn't know flytying thread was waxex. some sewing thread is waxed also :) not important, just funny how very similar products get different labels and are suddenly worthy of finding in cabellas rather than nancy's notions and vice versa.

more on topic- I usually use a brown or green cotton thread for anything that attaches on its own, by the time it falls apart the plant has attached and I can remove the strands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts