Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few days, every time I visit APC my Avast antivirus software gives me a warning that a potential threat has been blocked. Unfortunately, the pop up window doesn't stay open long enough for me to get more detailed information.

I am quite willing to believe that Avast is crying wolf--it has happened before--but thought I should bring it up in case there is a real problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is HTML:CVE-2016-3210-C. I had to turn off Avast for a while to get onto the forum. It is may be a false positive by Avast or an unwise update to the forum code. FYI it is not just this forum so it may be Avast crying wolf as you say. If you trust this forum you can instruct avast to exclude the website.

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This time I wrote down the "infection" in the warning: HTML:CVE-2016-3216-C[Expl] so it sound like the same thing you noticed, Barry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
CVE-2016-3210 and CVE-2016-3216 are different exploits. Since they are from the same site I think this is a false positive. I instructed Avast to exclude this and another forum that was being blocked. Afterwards I got onto both forums and did a Virus scan of the PC and no gremlins were found.

·
Administrator
363 Posts
is there more information other that the set of numbers and letters that avast came up with?

What browsers are you guys using?

Lee

·
Registered
48 Posts
is there more information other that the set of numbers and letters that avast came up with?

What browsers are you guys using?

Lee
You just gotta love hackers. They tear apart every component of Windows to find ways to bypass system security. Yes there is more info, search for CVE-2016-3210 and CVE-2016-3216. The first is a script exploit and the second is using the Graphical Device Interface (GDI) to get elevated privileges to mine personal information.

FYI - I am using Firefox.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This will instruct Avast to exclude this forum from the security check.

1. Open Avast and click on the Gear Icon in the top right.
2. Select Active Protection on the left menu.
3. Click customize in the Web Shield bar.
3. Select Exclusions on the left menu.
4. Add http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com to the URL's to Exclude.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for anything related to this post.

·
Registered
48 Posts
"Threat" messages stopped this morning without any action on my part.
The Avast Definition file updated today so that may have fixed the issue. I removed my exclusions and now have no problem with this and the other forum this was happening to.

So one pain in the behind is solved, now I just have to get my 1 gallon Walstad bowl to finish cycling. No ammonia, high in nitrite, no nitrates yet. :pray:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts