Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
They chase each other around the tank, and the males black stripes turn whiteish. This is mating behavior but doesnt meen they actually layed eggs. Even if they did lay eggs, there is a very good chance the eggs became lunch by now.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've breed Cherry Barbs before and in a normal display tank you probably won't see the eggs from any Barb species due to size and color alone. They are very small and transparent, not to mention probably becoming a meal.

This Thursday, however, I will be attempting to breed Tiger Barbs which I have been conditioning for 2 weeks now. What I do is put a pair in a 5.5 gallon tank with an egg trap (egg crate & mesh material) & java moss. I know the eggs have been laid when I shine a flashlight on the bottom of the tank. I use the same test for Tetra eggs.

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
601 Posts
They spawned today. Even with a bare bottom tank and flashlight, it's still difficult to see the eggs because they are so transparent. They are as big around as the tip of a pencil. Pretty cool, this was my first time spawning Tiger Barbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts