Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how tall will this get? most pics ive seen its fairly low but i have seen a couple with real tall leaves. i was hoping to use it as a mid ground to add some color to a set up. the tank will be gettin 3.25 wpg from 2 screw in CF bulbs. the tank is 13x13 in cube thats 21 in tall though so its gonna take a lot of light to get to the bottom...

·
Registered
525 Posts
A tiger lotus in that size tank would be as big as your tank!

this plant gets huge and at one time was the only plant in my 46gal corner tank, it was th whole tank.

Trimming any leaves that grow to the top keeps it low, once it discovers it can reach the top that all it wants to do.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
As mentioned, some of the Crypts would work. I like Cryptocoryne cordata var. blassii as it has a different leaf shape from the common C. wendtii.

Ludwigia glandulosa has a nice deep red color throughout the stem. I'm able to keep it in a 20 gallon with 65w CF, soil underlayer and only dosing gluteraldehyde (Excel substitute). It grows rather slowly and has a deep maroon color for me rather than the bright purple-pink of the plantfinder picture.

Limnophila aromatica might be too big and bushy but has lovely pink leaves near the top in the 20 gallon I mentioned before. Many Rotala species and other Ludwigia species would most likely work but many of them tend to grow fast so you'd have to keep up on trimming them. There are quite a few red plants listed in the PlantFinder. See here - I couldn't link straight to the red list, so go to "Aquascape Placement" and select red for the list.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts