Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a fluval 104 for 3 years in my 30 gallon cube. It's got a pretty low flow rate, and I've been battling algae for the past 6 months. I clean it once a month and replace the media every so often. How many gallons/hour should I be looking for? If I was going to spend up to $200, what should I get?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Im going thru the same situation now too(for a 29 gallon).
Im deciding between a
1- Filstar XP1(250gph) $95 or
2- Sunsun Perfect(260gph?) ~$45 or
3- Marineland HOT (250gph) $75 [has a diffusor for air on the out take so idk]

·
Registered
140 Posts
IM using a Marineland HOT MAG on my 29 and its not bad....theres a few things i really like about it

1-the watter polisher

2-the media basket...(i just put fluval ceramic bio media in it)and use the filter sleeve

3-you can almost aim the return anywhere you wont ( i even had a xp 1 spray bar on it for a wile )

·
Registered
151 Posts
IM using a Marineland HOT MAG on my 29 and its not bad....theres a few things i really like about it

1-the watter polisher

2-the media basket...(i just put fluval ceramic bio media in it)and use the filter sleeve

3-you can almost aim the return anywhere you wont ( i even had a xp 1 spray bar on it for a wile )
Is it on a planted tank with co2 injection?
I love marinelands products and have had my emperors for 7 years now, no problems. My dad has had the larger canister on his 75 for about ten years.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have been running the Fluval 204 on my 29 gallon tanks, and would not want a smaller filter than that.
One of them needs to be replaced, so I am thinking of an XP2. I have had too many problems with the Fluvals to want to repeat.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, that seems accurate. I went to the store and got a 305, it fits inside my cabinet. But, strangely enough when I opened the box up the propeller shaft was missing... odd.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice, Thanks for the link! I think got the impeller shaft today, but i think the motor may have an issue. It's pumping, but it's louder than I would expect it to be. and it's an inconsistant noise. It could be an issue with friction between the base of the impeller and the rubber pad holding the shaft in place. I'm going to lubricate it and see what happens. I'll use a dab of food grade lube, unless anyone has a better solution.

I can for sure hear it with the door closed. Not going the be the kind of sound I'd want in a recording studio. The 104 wasn't just quiet, It was silent. But the flow so far of the 305 is impressive in comparison. If I dampen the walls of the inside of the box it would greatly reduce the noise by reducing the standing sound waves.

When I get the next tank up and running, which will be inside the tracking room of the studio, I'll really need to test a few other pumps for noise.

·
Registered
140 Posts
it should not make any sound at all....mite be a bad filter i would return it.I work in a LFS ( dont kill me)
and we have a few 305/405 running and they are completely noise free.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
joshvito, that link made me decide to return the one I have, and get the next step up. The 305 definitely looks like a huge upgrade, but, it still doesn't look like as much circulation as when I had the 105 and the internal power head going at the same time. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
715 Posts
It sounds as if your 305 has an issue. I would return it for a new one.

The 305 definitely looks like a huge upgrade, but, it still doesn't look like as much circulation as when I had the 105 and the internal power head going at the same time. Any thoughts?
fluval 105 - 125 gph
fluval 305 - 260 gph
powerhead - ??

Most powerheads have more than the difference between the two filters. I think in this discussion gph is a indicatior of filtering efficiency. If you feel there will be dead spots in the 30G cube tank, add a powerhead along with the 305.

These are my thoughts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought the rena xp1 yesterday, seems lovely. I love the spray bar that comes with it. Hopefully ill be setting it up tonight. I could post pics if anyone wants them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That would be nice, I'm going to be getting another filter soon for my 36 gallon bowfront. I'm about a month away from starting that project

·
Registered
151 Posts
alright, ill be setting it up before lunch tomorrow, ill try to get the pictures up from the setup hopefully in the next few days

1 - 20 of 32 Posts