Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is 70g and I'm adding EI ferts.

My CO2 comes on at 7:00 am. My first set of lights (2 bulbs T5-HO 39w ea) come on at 8:00 am. My second set (same) come on at 9:00 am. What is a reasonable time before I should expect to see pearling.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts

My CO2 comes on at 7:00 am. My first set of lights (2 bulbs T5-HO 39w ea) come on at 8:00 am. My second set (same) come on at 9:00 am. What is a reasonable time before I should expect to see pearling.
My tank pearls very quickly, within 10 mins. I do keep a lot of CO2 diffused in the water and have a great light. :D

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Whoa...really. Mine is taking hours. Are using the 1000 reactor and running CO2 24/7?
I am running the CO2 24/7. I'm using a bigger reactor. I used to use the aquamedic 1000. My husband built me a large one out of PVC. I can infuse much faster with this one. He used the instructions on the Rex Grigg site.

Some say that we are just overdriving our plants. I guess I say who cares, as long as they get what they need to grow and are healthy? Why do we care how quickly they grow? It certainly doesn't hurt anything. I do think it's more maintenance. Pearling is certainly not necessary. Some even say it's ugly. I think it's fun to see what is happening all the time around us with the trees, bushes, grass etc. What a neat science lesson!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Within about 20-30 minutes I see some evidence of pearling. But it takes a couple-few hours before it sets off big time. By 5-6 hours it's a champagne glass in my tank....

·
Registered
195 Posts

It can take 5 - 7 hours to see evidence of pearling. Photosynthesis usually tends to peak around the 6th or 7th hour of the day, so you should see the most activity from around that point, until your lights turn off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whew! That's a relief. I'd doing something right. :Cry:

If my 10 lb tank lasts for 6 months at 3 bps = 46,656,000 bubbles @ $15.00 / tank = $0.0000003/bubble. That's the cheapest thing I've ever purchased.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Whew! That's a relief. I'd doing something right. :Cry:

If my 10 lb tank lasts for 6 months at 3 bps = 46,656,000 bubbles @ $15.00 / tank = $0.0000003/bubble. That's the cheapest thing I've ever purchased.
A 10lb tank should last you way more than 6 months at that rate. My 5lb at 4 bps lasts a good 8-9 months. I turn it off at night though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts