Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To divide or not to divide... That is the question.
It a question I've never really thought much about, and I can't think back and recall something I never really thought that much about to begin with. :p

In everyone's experience, do Anubias grow better if they are divided when they start to branch, or does it aid growth to keep it all as one huge plant? Mine are always growing steadily, and usually I just keep them together until they fall apart or break on their own. Obviously, its like watching grass grow, except slower.

I divided one the other day, but I placed it in an emerse setup, so the growth rate will be different and I got curious (while I was sitting there watching it not grow) if I would have been better off just leaving it all together in a huge chunk.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I don't think their growth rate is affected any one way or the other. I let mine grow until I decide I need to prune it or thin it out. I've grown rather large clumps of petite this way and currently have what will be a really large mass of A. nana to prune out in the coming weeks.

From past experiences, I have found that while in the tank, it may look large, but not overwhelming. When I pull it out and it is not restricted by the sides of the tank, it can spread open, so to speak, and it is huge.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
If you nick the rhizome here and there, a lot of times they'll put out new growth from those places.
I've gotten new growth from places where I've removed a leaf. I don't believe I damaged the rhizome in any way when doing it since I normally pull the leaf back and snap it off rather than cutting it. This works best with the petite but I've also had it happen with other Anubias.

I've never noticed any difference in growth between leaving a branch attached to the main rhizome or removing it. The only exception is when the plant is getting overgrown and removing the branch allows more light to reach the plant, then I tend to get a little increase in growth in the formerly shaded parts (very little, but any little bit helps with Anubias).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts